588,297 active members*
4,932 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > I need a little guidance please....

Lightbulb I need a little guidance please....

Hello all,
    I have been building my own bench top CNC mill for a while now.It's roughly a 16" X travel,8' Y travel and 9"Z travel.The ball screws and spindle are in,but not the spindle motor just yet.I have just aquired what will be my Z axis motor and after I get it in place,I'm pretty much lostI'm a machinist,not an electrician).The motor is a Electrocraft E-3633-F00AN dc servo with 1000 ct encoder.I have a pdf of it,and will try to attach it for reference.What I need to know is what I'm looking for next to make it function,and what kind of driver and power supply and whatever else I should I look for.I have a power cabinet for it.Does it have to be a certain brand,or just meet the electrical requirements?If I can understand the Z axis,I should be Ok with the rest to follow.Thanks for any suggestions.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The motor appears to be a DC brushless, and a driver all depends on what kind of system will be controlling it. If you are going the economical route of Printer port based system you will probabally need a step and direction type controller, the encoder resolution of 1k/rev may be high for these systems, In a true closed loop system that resolution would be considered the low end.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Al is right (why am I not surprised?), it's a DC brushless motor.

It's driven by 130V 3phase AC. About 1Hp.
    You need a drive with Hall commutation and encoder input like Worldservo SSt1500.
    Except it can only go to 70V (if I remember right), so it will only drive it up to
    about 3000RPM. Go to their very good website where if nothing else, you can learn
    a lot about what's involved in getting these things running.

And you're in for a lot of learning. If you don't want that, go for a brushed DC motor and one of the hobby grade drives. Gecko and Rutex are a couple that springs to mind. They are a bit less difficult to get up & running.

Your question is very good BTW, passing along enough information to answer it. Many around here have something to learn from you there. All the information needed is in the lower left corner.

Einar

Thanks for your reply Al,yes,the printer port concept works for me just fine,any recommendations as to a model or version of the controller you are refering to please.

Steve

Einar :cheers: Thanks!

Have you sloved your problems

I want to buy these model E-3633, can you introduce the supplier?