587,925 active members*
3,668 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Daewoo/Doosan > M69 and turn spindle at the same time?

Hybrid View

M69 and turn spindle at the same time?

Hello. I want to close the chuck on a puma 240 bar feed machine and rotate the spindle very slowly in either direction while the chuck is closing, to be able to clamp onto the square part consistently. Right now I am getting a 20% failure in part clamping due to the jaws not being able to turn the part just a few degrees when closing and trying to clamp onto the edges of the part (4 flats being clamped on - sucker rod).

I don't think you can spin the spindle while it is clamping at the same time with conventional commands like M69 close chuck and G97 S10 M4. Any solutions? Fanuc controller. Thanks

From the P-series operating manual:

M31 INTERLOCK BY-PASS FOR MAIN CHUCK

. Command
    Sole command in a block.

. Function
    M31 allows spindle to rotate and cycle start to valid under the state of chuck unclamped.
    And it allows chuck clamp and unclamp command to valid during the rotation of the spindle.

. Condition of Command
    In case of clamping chuck after commanding M31, "INTERLOCK BY-PASS" will be released.

M31

Hi, I am new at this. Here is my scenario of what I need the program to do and what the commands should be to get it done? Original program is only:

M91;
    M68;

Can you review the below scenario, I probably have the commands wrong since I am not experienced in programming.

M91; (Bar feed)
    G97 S5 M4; (Spindle to rotate at 5 rev per minute) *Added Command*
    M31; (Allows chuck to rotate while next command starts it to clamp) *Added Command*
    M68; (Chuck closes while spindle rotates - to clamp onto part more consistently)
    M31; (Cancels the first M31 Command) *Added Command*

REST OF PROGRAM

I think this should work:

M91; (Bar feed)
    M31; (Allows chuck to rotate while unclamped) *Added Command*
    G97 S5 M4; (Spindle to rotate at 5 rev per minute) *Added Command*
    M68; (Chuck closes while spindle rotates - to clamp onto part more consistently)

Will Try

I will try your suggested command lines and let you know. Thanks for the help.

Still not working for me

Hi, the commands you gave me didn't seem to work for me. It just goes to the block G97 S5 M4 and the spindle spins but it does not leave that block and go to the next block M68 (Close chuck command).

Any suggestions? Thanks, Randy

If you are using M91 that is one of the External spare M Codes. M50 or M51 is the usual Bar feed command. Whoever integrated the Bar feeder used the wrong M code.

At any rate you might want to confirm that you can actually run the spindle at 5 rpm.

J

Thanks

Hi, yes, the spindle does run at S5 or S1 in M4 or M3, just doesn't go past that block of code to start closing the chuck M68, as it's turning.

It is very possible they have the wrong bar feed M code, I am not sure what they are doing and am very leary at what they have done. I have only been here for a few months and this has been goind on for 6 years. It seems like a simple problem to over come, but the engineer that put it all together is taking things personal, and the company put him in charge of his own project to update and repair, big mistake. The engineer is not wanting to change things that operators require, treats us like a bunch of monkeys. Seen this to many times at to many places.

I guess I need to copy down the entire program and let a programmer figure it out for me. The engineer here will not allow us operators to print out a program, not on a DNC, so we can't anyway, and gets very upset that anyone would question his authority kinda thing. It's a tough problem for us operators who have to work our butts off because the program will not work like it should, bummer.

Thanks for you help, Randy

I have to believe the spindle is timing out. The minimum spindle speed you can run on a Puma 240B is 45rpm, on a 240C it is 35 rpm with either the 21i or 0i or even a new 30 series control. You may be able to command 35 or 45 rpm in MDI and Override it down to 4 or 5 rpm but it won't do it under CNC control. Try the rpm at 45 and see if it doesn't work. I see a lot of folks that won't learn how to do what the machine is capable of or like to argue about the fact that they believe something that is totally wrong but they believe it anyway. I don't care one way or another. As an AE/Salesman, if customers don't want to learn it is up to them..After the invoice is paid my involvement thereafter is all voluntary. If management wants to exert themselves to be the smartest kid on the block that's up to them.

J.

spindle

I will try the S45 thing and see what happens, thanks. I will let you know.