588,665 active members*
5,227 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Simple question on programming radius

Hey everyone, new here. I have a quick question. I haven't had to deal with writing programming since I got into working with cnc machines, but my new job has us fix and edit programs alot so I need a bit of help.

I am needing to make a .60 radius on my I.D. bore. I am using a .125 wide grooving tool to cut the thread relief and to make the radius. the insert has a .010 radius tip.

I am unsure how to calculate this. My thread relief has to have a depth of .750 and my bore diameter is 1.066.

How would I program that using g03, and how do i calculate my x and z movement.

sorry if this is a real simple question, just trying to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Balsamar View Post
    Hey everyone, new here. I have a quick question. I haven't had to deal with writing programming since I got into working with cnc machines, but my new job has us fix and edit programs alot so I need a bit of help.

I am needing to make a .60 radius on my I.D. bore. I am using a .125 wide grooving tool to cut the thread relief and to make the radius. the insert has a .010 radius tip.

I am unsure how to calculate this. My thread relief has to have a depth of .750 and my bore diameter is 1.066.

How would I program that using g03, and how do i calculate my x and z movement.

sorry if this is a real simple question, just trying to learn.
    Post as drawing of what you want to do, it will make explaining the process easier if everyone is on the same page. That seems an awful deep groove for a thread relief. You will struggle to get a tool capable of cutting a groove that deep into a 1.066 bore; are you sure the groove depth is correct?

Regards,

Bill

I'm with you Bill. A drawing would be a big help. I'm at a loss to understand exactly what Balsamar wants. Does the .750 depth refer to a Z depth? I don't see how it could refer to actual thread relief clearance (per side) as that would leave him with a tool of about 1/4 inch diameter for the depth of the bore. Good luck with that! :nono:

Where is the .6R located? The R value would be .59 (.6 part radius minus .01 insert radius), but without a drawing, I couldn't possibly tell you any coordinates. There are lots of guys on here much better than I am (and Bill is definitely one of them), but no one can help you without more information.

Drawing is said to be the language of engineers.

Quote Originally Posted by sinha_nsit View Post
    Drawing is said to be the language of engineers.
    Yeah, and a lot of engineers don't know what a lathe looks like much less how to actually machine one of their nightmares...er I mean bright ideas!