587,999 active members*
2,337 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bosch Palm Router

Is anybody using this for their router?
    Its around 120 dollars, looks like good quality. The specs say 3.3lbs, with 1HP. Seems like a lot of "oomph" for the weight.

What I would like to know is, can you take off the plastic casing and have a round cylinder, so it makes mounting easier?

The casing below the padded area IS round, it'll fit fine.It's about the same diameter as a Porter CAble 7310 lam trimmer. Or ios that 3710? Don't remember. Anyway, I use it, it seems to work fine. I have to say that it's not a full 1 horse all the time- Bosch has this rev governor that triesd to keep the bit spinning at a set rpm , and under load it can add a bit of juice to the motor if it needs it. Soft start, too. The only drawback I've seen so far is that there isn't an eighth-inch collet for it. I haven't tried the one fo the Ziprouter, it's made by Bosch, it might fit.

You could have an electrical insulation issue by changing from plastic to alum. Could be a shocking adventure thou (had to say that)

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside
    You could have an electrical insulation issue by changing from plastic to alum. Could be a shocking adventure thou (had to say that)
    The casing's 90 percent plastic. If ou're looking this deep for reasons not to use it, the only question I have is , 'Why waste your time?'

I bought one.

I got this on amazon for 90$... is it the same one your looking at? It does only come with a 1/4" collet - but adapters can be easly fabricated for a smaller shank. I just finished making an adapter to put it in my mill and hope to cut some colorwood at a higher rpm then my ENCO spindle allows - working out dust control issues now.
    "If you have great talents, industry will improve them; if you have but moderate abilities, industry will supply their deficiency." *Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723 - 1792)

Bosch Palm Router 1/8" collet

It looks like Bosch is coming out with a collet for 1/8". I have bought this router to go with my RomaxxCNC. Purposly wanted small size, variable speed, low torque start, but with the most umph possible.

I don't own and have never owned a Bosch Trimmer but I thought I might add in another consideration. The Rigid Laminate Trimmer. I have this one and it is a power horse. I have it set up in my manual router table while I am building my cnc router table. I have in it right now a 1/2 end mill taking off 1/4 in each pass and it doesn't even phase it. Another cool feature is that its variable speed, soft start and electronically controlled. For the icing on the cake it comes with a life time warranty on all wearable parts i.e. brushes, collets, plastic base and so on. Here is a link for more info. http://www.ridgid.com/MenuDriver.asp...minate-Trimmer