588,248 active members*
3,919 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Coolant Pump

Coolant Pump

I am looking to add a 2 stage filter to a machine that right now has no filter. To keep the coolant clean. The machine is a grinder. I was told by the filter manufacture that you need at least a 35 psi pump.

Now my questions is this. What would be a good 35 psi pump? This machine runs 8hr a day so I need something reliable. Right now it has a small little giant on it. But it dont put out the 35psi. Now little giant does sell this.

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/L.../13309/Cat/541

But is something like this what I am looking for? I am unsure. Is this pump loud? Is this thing made for 8 hours a day use? If not what is a better suggestion?

Did you look at the performance chart on the link you gave? It shows that pump gives a flow of only 2 gallons a minute pumping to a head of 70 feet; your 35psi requirement is equivalent to a head of 76 feet. That pump may poop out before it gets there.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Coolant pump

That pump is not for your machine, that one is for your home water supply. This pump is quiet. Thanks. Asuratman.

can someone give a suggestion on something that is better suited?

Find out what the machine manufacturers use for their high pressure coolant pumps. But be prepared for sticker shock, I bought a 300 psi multi stage centrifugal pump for $450. It was supposed to retail at $1400.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I made my own coolant system with a swarf filter for my small surface grinder. I had all the materials lying around, so it was free, but they're cheap nonetheless. The 700gph pump is way overkill for my setup. It'd probably be just right for something with a 1" wide wheel. Mine is 1/2".

Materials list:
    1.) 700gph submersible pump for koi pounds - $80.00
    2.) Two 18-gallon "Roughneck" tubs with lids - $10.00
    3.) Filter material (i used polyester batting, normally used in conjunction with foam to stuff seat cushions). - $5.00

Basically I have two tubs stacked. The lower tub is filled with coolant and the pump is submerged in it. The lid for the lower tub and the bottom of the upper tub have holes drilled in it to allow coolant to pass through. Filter material is stuffed in the upper tub.

The dirty coolant flows through the return hose, into the upper tub, through the filter material, and through the holes into the clean lower tub. I'd say filter effectiveness is near perfect, higher than 99.99%.

Well I ended up buying that pump I linked. And it pumped WAY to much. I mean I could spray coolant 30' acrost the room if I wanted to. I think afew times we almost did. But anyways that thing is way to big. So I gotta get something smaller.

Here are the problems its causing. It pumps like 14 GPM. Well we use more like 1 GPM. So when you restrict that to 1GPM it starts to head up the coolant. And it also builts up 200PSI in Pressure. Which blew up my Filters.

So I need something that pumps like 1GPM instread of 14GPM but still has some pressure to be able to get it threw the filter units. And if it was submirable then that would be way better. If you guys can think of anything then that would be great.

Perhaps there is a model of Procon pump that will work. They are readily available, even rebuilt, on eBay. Many use them for TIG torch cooler pumps.

http://www.proconpumps.com/