587,224 active members*
2,970 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Xylotex > How to build stepper cables?

Question How to build stepper cables?

I have a Xylotex setup with 3 Powermax II stepper motors and cables that I bought as a kit.

I have since purchased another 3 axis board but I see that Xylotex is no longer selling the motors and cables.

The motors are available on Ebay for a reasonable price, but 3 cables are listed for $35 including shipping. That seems kind of steep to me since I bought 3 motors and cables from Xylotex for $60.

How do I make these cables myself? I am basically brain dead about the whole process, terminology, what to buy, where to get it, tools needed, etc.

I notice on some of the postings, people have built nice enclosures with connnectors on the outside of the box for cable attachment. I just have the wires screwed into the driver board.

Any help is appreciated. If someone knows how to do this it would be a good technical article for this forum.

Thanks
    Trent

Buscht,
    I offer cables on Ebay in this price range. I also offer wire and connectors for those who want to do it themselves. My website is not complete yet, so I haven't been able to post a wiring diagram for DIYers. For the Xylotex, I recommend individually shielded pair wire, wired for Bipolar series. Of course this depends on your motor to some extent. I assume that you are using a Powermax II style motor. You can wire in other configurations including bipolar parallel and unipolar. I have posted the wiring diagrams for each in the photo gallery, here;

http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/336
    http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/data/...series-med.jpg
    http://www.cnczone.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/334

If you have any other questions, feel free to send me a note.

I hope that people feel the price is fair, when you take the cost of producing items into effect. These prices are pretty good considering the high quality of the components. I have not found a better deal anywhere. If I do, I will pass it on.

I freely offer help to everybody that works with me, as several of this forum's members can attest to. Please let me know if I can offer any further help.

Jason

For those interested, I have taken a close look at my pricing and decided to reduce it. If the volume is good, I should be able to maintain this oricing with the high quality components. I will post a link in the for sale/ebay section. Thanks to all.

I'm interested, thanks and looking forward to update
    JTB

Is there a molex part number for the connector on the powermax II stepper motors?

Chris
    Chris

In the PacSci .pdf site, there is an amp part# that you can use at digi-key. It's at the end of the Nema23 pages, where the wiring info is. Not sure the exact page #
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The pacsci data also shows leaded connectors. They can be found at Kim-Controls but are pricey. The conectors have been made by several companies over the years. They are MTA .100, 8 pin, IDC style. They can be equipped with polarizing tabs, but don't need them for this application. They can be equipped as locking, and should be. Dustcovers and strain reliefs can be fitted to them as well. They are available as a closed end (end of cable) design, or a feed through design, for daisy chaining.
    Part numbers include 641634-8, 641653-8. These are Amp part numbers. Amp has sold the line to Panduit, who markets with Tyco. Tyco won't sell direct. Go to Digikey, or Mouser. Arrow, and some others have them at min qty of 1000 pcs. Digikey/Mouser sell low quantity and charge min shipping and handling fee of approx $5 ea. If you need something else at the same time, you can avoid the handling, but the cardboard box shipping stays... If you only need a few, I have some, I can send you some

I have three motors that are connected for the xylotex board. I rewired for a home made unipolar board. I changed the wires on one motor but now I need to change it back. I would rather just make up a second set for testing my new board.

I found them on digikey site with the part number you gave me. I'm not sure I will be able to order right now. Maybe when I order a complete set of parts for my board i will order some of the connectors.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris