588,020 active members*
7,155 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mach3 works at seller's shop, but not at home..

Hi all,

My name is Allan, and I'm from the Netherlands. I have been exploring this forum for some time, and the idea of controlling motion through the computer sounded really interesting to me, that i thought I'd try it out myself.

I bought a complete cnc kit from a national supplier (stappenmotor.nl), and had it tested at his place just to be sure everything worked fine. And it did.

But now I'm back at home with my own cnc kit, and im dissapointed to find out that the kit doesnot work on my computer. I tried the kit both on a computer with a windows 7 operating system and one with a windows xp operating system. In both cases, the steppermotor doesn't spin at all, it only changes its "sound".

I installed the demo version of mach3 and followed the tutorial video instructions with no avail.

does anyone have any idea what could have gone wrong?
    (i did the re-boot, and i configured the pins of x, y and z- axis in the same order as indicated in the tutorial video).

I have 2x 2.5Nm steppermotors, and a 1x 1.7Nm steppermotor. I use three microstep drivers with 1,2,4,8 microsteps, utilizing 0.4-2.5 Amp and 12-35 Volts. I also use a very simple breakout0board with its own power supply.

The kit is complete, and it worked fine at the seller's shop. Is this a familiar problem? If not, does anyone know what the problem exactly is?

Greetings from Holland

Problems getting mach3 to work with a certain computer are common.
    Mach3 with the parallel port driver will not work on windows 7 64 bit at all. You can stop trying. What type of computer are you using with XP? Laptop,desktop? Some laptops need work to get them going, other laptops simply will not work. What is your kernel speed set to in mach? What are your acceleration, velocity and steps per inch set to in mach? You should reduce the accel and velocity to the minimum to make sure they are not too high. Are there LED's on your breakout board so you can diagnose which pins are being controlled with mach?

Matt

Mach3 with the parallel port driver will not work on windows 7 at all
    Yes it does, as long as it's a 32bit version of Windows 7. Lot's of people are using it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Yes it does, as long as it's a 32bit version of Windows 7. Lot's of people are using it.
    Sorry, left out the 64 bit part.

Matt