588,053 active members*
4,156 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New VF-2SS wiring question

Well, my new machine has been sitting on my garage floor for roughly 30 minutes!

I'm trying to get the thing wired today so I can have the techs come and do their thing before the weekend and Sellway is slow.

Does this thing need a neutral going to the main cabinet? I can't find that information anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    Well, my new machine has been sitting on my garage floor for roughly 30 minutes!

I'm trying to get the thing wired today so I can have the techs come and do their thing before the weekend and Sellway is slow.

Does this thing need a neutral going to the main cabinet? I can't find that information anywhere.
    No, just the three phases onto the terminal block above the main breaker. And a ground to the grounding terminal near them.

The Haas machines do not use a neutral line.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

What would I do without you Geof?! Thanks!

Quick question sorta related.....what size breaker do you guys use with the VF2, I just purchased a 2002 model and it will be here next week, just trying to get the line ready so I can power it up right away. It has the 20HP motor on it. I think I read the amp draw was 40 max or something.........

Thanks,
    Jim
    JM Fab

Quote Originally Posted by JMFabrications View Post
    Quick question sorta related.....what size breaker do you guys use with the VF2, I just purchased a 2002 model and it will be here next week, just trying to get the line ready so I can power it up right away. It has the 20HP motor on it. I think I read the amp draw was 40 max or something.........

Thanks,
    Jim
    JM Fab
    My electrican installed 50amp panel breakers for my VF2s and used 6 gauge wire.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

070625-1602 EST USA

JMF:

We use 40 A Sq-D QO breakers for our VF-3s and #6 wire. Never have tripped one from the machine operation. However, we do not run high spindle loads.

Our total run from the main breaker box to the furthest machine is about 75 ft for the cable run. Our leg-to-leg voltage is usually about 246 V.