586,753 active members*
7,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > I.C. Engines > 2-stroke ported OPOC engine (125cc x 2)

Hybrid View

Theory is fine up to a point, wheras experience is an invaluable tool.

I'd be inclined to advise you to go and build something simple first, maybe a little steam engine.

See first hand just what is involved when people build engines from scratch and overcome any problems that may come up associated with their design or machining techniques.

I think you underestimate the level of experience needed to achieve a final working result. With software you push a button, anyone can do it the same way. With machining, a totally different story.

Not trying to downgrade software engineering in any way as I found out for myself how involved it can be. Just trying to point out there is a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by bluejets View Post
    Theory is fine up to a point, wheras experience is an invaluable tool.

I'd be inclined to advise you to go and build something simple first, maybe a little steam engine.
    bluejets, hi, many thanks for this. the difference between this 2-stroke ported design and a steam engine is, surprisingly, not very great. apart from the "bang" bit. if i'm going to the trouble of making an engine, i'm inclined to consider spending my efforts and funds on the actual design straight away. with of course lots of research in advance into how best to go about that. if it all goes "bang" i can always start again.

little secret for you: i use experimentation in my software designs, too. try-it-and-see approach. make as many simplifications as possible (including designing entire tools which change the approach needed) but no more.

/peace.

l.