588,246 active members*
5,702 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Think I got ripped on a Citizen F-25

Think I got ripped on a Citizen F-25

Purchased the lathe from a machine shop in Laramie Wy. They said it was running so I went down to inspect it. I got there and this woman Nadia tells me it was her husbands shop and he had died. Turned the machine on and it went into immediate error. Nothing on the display. She said it was because the machine did not have oil. Decided to pass on the purchase (6K) and left. Then I get a call from her 2 hours later she says she bought some techs in and they got it running. Would I like to come see? ..So I decided to go back and sure enough the techs had the machine under power and the turrets moving, everything seemed ok so I bought the machine. Told her I would pick it up the following week (1st Mistake)

Next week I go back and load the machine without powering up (2nd mistake). Get it back to my shop and a few weeks later power it up and nothing! I called tech support for citizen and they troubleshot it on the phone with me and couldnt get it working. Verified it was getting the correct voltage and phase but no go. They said I should call Fanuk. Did that and they said its probably the Mother board but without testing boards they cant tell. A new MB is 6K .. not going that route.

So looks as if a board was swapped. She had 2 other F20 machines in the shop. Problem is I cant prove it nor do I know which board may have been swapped out.

Can anyone help diagnose the boards or does anyone have a parts machine laying around I can buy parts from ? :drowning:

Rob

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, that most certainly sucks!

What does "Nadia" say when you called her and asked "What gives?"?

Gonna be tough tracking parts for that, maybe Universal Automatics could help.
    Control the process, not the product!
    Machining is more science than art, master the science and the artistry will be evident.

That really sucks to hear about these kind of stories, and people that are swindlers. I wish you the best of luck! What goes around comes around, she will get hers.

Have you searched ebay? They have a lot of misc. parts?

what does the law in your area say about sales of used equipment , you did buy this item from a company rite

Quote Originally Posted by holbieone View Post
    what does the law in your area say about sales of used equipment , you did buy this item from a company rite
    No, was a private party sale and its out of state

Quote Originally Posted by diyengineer View Post
    That really sucks to hear about these kind of stories, and people that are swindlers. I wish you the best of luck! What goes around comes around, she will get hers.

Have you searched ebay? They have a lot of misc. parts?
    Well, since I don't know why it's not booting I dont know what part I need. A new MB for this is $4000.00 rebuilt but I have no idea if thats what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by ProProcess View Post
    Sorry to hear about your misfortune, that most certainly sucks!

What does "Nadia" say when you called her and asked "What gives?"?

Gonna be tough tracking parts for that, maybe Universal Automatics could help.
    She says we should get a tech service to come in .. all well and good but the nearest tech service is 2 states away and just getting them here would cost more than a machine of this year is worth.

I run a F25 quite a bit and it is still very versatile, even if it is older than many of the people on our shop floor. It's value shouldn't be dismissed just because of it's age, but should rather be determined by whether or not it will make money for you. In our shop that is an emphatic yes. $4000 is a lot of money, but you may be able to recoup it more easily than investing in a 100K machine. Just my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Sgore1 View Post
    I run a F25 quite a bit and it is still very versatile, even if it is older than many of the people on our shop floor. It's value shouldn't be dismissed just because of it's age, but should rather be determined by whether or not it will make money for you. In our shop that is an emphatic yes. $4000 is a lot of money, but you may be able to recoup it more easily than investing in a 100K machine. Just my opinion
    Very True. There is something about older machines too, they just don't make them like they use too haha.

Have a tech come check it out? What could they charge you @ most $80 an hour for 4-5 hours of labor? Atleast then you would know exactly what is wrong, plus it might be something he finds in under an hour, and costs very little.