588,320 active members*
4,925 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Need help with driver understanding

Need help with driver understanding

Last month I bought some IDC Impulse drives off of Ebay in anticipation of building my first router. Now that I'm ready to buy motors and put it all together, I'm confused as to how this thing works. It has both a com port and a parallel port which is only referred to as I/O, and when it talks about communication on the spec sheet, it only mentions rs232/rs485. But as an option, there is a db25BO.

http://www.idcmotion.com/products/stepmotor/index.html

If someone could decipher this all for me, I sure would appreciate it.

Ed

I could be wrong, I did not delve in to deep, but this looks like it may be a standalone motion controller rather than just a drive unit alone, If so this is used to store moves and simple point to point programs, It may be possible to place it under the direct control of a separate motion controller, but if it is what I think it is, this is not the primary reason for it.
    Al
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for replying Al,

That's the problem I'm having, because the drive runs off of a computer or plc but has the option of "motion node" whatever that is. But, then it shows a list of compatible products one of which includes positioning tables that can be used for "laser cutting" and "contouring".

Apparently Danaher Motion has taken over the distribution of this and other companies and when I asked for specific information on this product, they sent the same useless pack of brochures 3 times within 2 weeks.

This unit needs 160 volt compatible motors and I am hesitant to buy any until I am sure it will work for a router and know how to use it, therefore my dilemma. Maybe I should just sell them and start over. It's just that they seem to be such high quality drives.