587,935 active members*
4,043 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 4"4jaw chuck

4"4jaw chuck

Hi Guy's,
    I recently purchased a used mini lathe and am looking at adding a 4" 4 Jaw indepent chuck to it. I was wondering if you have any recommended brands of chucks and suppliers to use. Any help, links etc. would be appreciated.
    I am totally new to this site so forgive me if my query is vain.
    Kurt

i got one from lms but its really cheap, so im looking for a higher quality one.

http://www.littlemachineshop.com/pro...gory=566826475

Thanks for the input skmetal7. That is one that I was considering. I would like to get something accurate but also good value for the dollar.

Does anyone have thoughts on this unit?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/4-4-JAW-INDEPENDE...QQcmdZViewItem

Kurt

I would have to say accurate, and good value for the dollar do not go hand in hand. You get what you pay for when it comes to machine tools, bison makes some high quality chucks, but expect to pay anywhere from $120-$200 for one... other wise you might be able to buy a cheap chuck, and tweak it till it's accurate, then leave it and never take it off. Might be able to get away with that. Good luck!

I am curious. I understand the issues of quality when it comes to 3-jaw self-centering chucks. What are the issues of quality when it comes to independent 4-jaw chucks?

What do you really get for the extra money when buying a quality 4-jaw chuck (probably imported) versus a cheaper import?

Alan

Is there any other brands in particular to stay away from? Do you have any links to an online dealer for Bison? There is no places to purchase this type of equipment locally were I live. By the way the chuck will be going on a 7X12 Craftex sold in Canada by Busy Bee. I purchased it used (very little) from an estate sale along with a whole bunch of other tooling for the lathe. everything is less than 2 years old. The lathe still had a considerable amount of packing grease on it.

Kurt

Go to the local tool supplier and check some stuff out. The cheap stuff is and feels just that, cheap. The good stuff generally is "square" and repeatable. The fit and finish are "there" and something to admire.

It is sort of like the quality of hay.

Brand new, freshly bailed dry hay is one price and of an expected and accepted quality level for ANYBODY,

The hay that's already been thru the horse or came from a weed filled field just isn't nor will it ever be of the quality of good, fresh hay - but it surely will be cheaper.

Buy the best chuck that you can barely afford - by doing so, you won't be disappointed nor waste a lot of time chasing your tail while dialing parts in with a cheap chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Cams View Post
    Go to the local tool supplier and check some stuff out. The cheap stuff is and feels just that, cheap. The good stuff generally is "square" and repeatable. The fit and finish are "there" and something to admire.

It is sort of like the quality of hay.

Brand new, freshly bailed dry hay is one price and of an expected and accepted quality level for ANYBODY,

The hay that's already been thru the horse or came from a weed filled field just isn't nor will it ever be of the quality of good, fresh hay - but it surely will be cheaper.

Buy the best chuck that you can barely afford - by doing so, you won't be disappointed nor waste a lot of time chasing your tail while dialing parts in with a cheap chuck.

NC
    If you have ever been around hay you would realize that this is pure nonsense. The quality of new hay is all over the place and in many cases good composted manure is more valuable than poor quality new hay.

Paying high prices for machine tools is no indication of quality.

Garry

Anyone else want to chim in? Still shopping for that accurate chuck at a reasonable price but need to know various brand qualities. I am sure that there must be more to look at than Bison.
    Kurt