588,205 active members*
4,138 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Need motor specs!

I have a few of these motors on hand, salvaged from old Kodak image manual film processing machines. The machines were not used for film development, but run manually by an operator to add photoshop-like rework before photoshop was around. These machines were part of a 3 step line, each being about the size of a stout industrial refrigerator. They very were impressive machines and it was cool to see the ancient analog counterpart to today's digital processing.

Anyhow- I've got these motors on hand, and I've had a difficult time tracking down any info on them.

They do not seem to have a servomechanism, but otherwise appear very similar to the packages you see precision servo's come in. I wonder if I might have luck mating them with a modular servo mechanism- what do you think?

There are two distinct rotors on the same shaft, and two separate coils as well. As you can see, there are two pairs of leads for the coils. Very curious - what/how does that work?

The label reads:
    Clifton Precision-North
    CPN JDGH-2250-ES-1CC
    P/N 320930 REV, 6943-265
    D/C 9049

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motor-0805091303.jpg   Motor-Label-0805091304.jpg  

These were very common on the surplus market around 20 yrs ago.
    Many were without the Tach, which is the rear two connections.
    You may be able to remove the tach and put an encoder on it.
    I believe they were either 24vdc or 48vdc, they are probably OK up to at least 3000rpm.
    If you apply a known voltage and record the RPM the max voltage would be pro-rated accordingly.
    I still have a couple kicking around somewhere.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al,

Have you ever managed to put any motors like these to use? I hang on to a lot of surplus items- sometimes it feels like I'm just running an electronics archive though. When I start a new project, I tend to buy something more specifically suited to the application. Maybe that speaks to poor engineering skills. I'd really like to start putting this stuff to use.

In testing the peak voltage relative to RPM - can I assume the tach is going to give me 3 volts per 1000 RPM - or do you have another method of testing?

Thanks again for your help here, great to hear about your experiences- are you still in the surplus business?

Shane