588,201 active members*
4,882 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > cann't get a lead in or out.

cann't get a lead in or out.

On small tools i can get a lead in and out . but not on big tools.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: zip 5.zip (9.2 KB, 45 views)

I was going to ask what version but I know it is X3 but not X3 MU1
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Well for starters you have a hug tool that does not make sense for what you are cutting. but on top of it you have the wrong chain direction and you need to move the start point to the end so it has a place to swing in from.
    Also you had lead in and out set for perpidicaler instead of tangent to the radii angle.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Ramp height can also be a reason for lack of lead in/out. Ramp height must be equal to or greater than first depth of cut, but also less than 150% of first depth of cut.

(didn't have the time to view your file attachment for the details)

What does the Ramp height of the leaner move have with lead in and out working or not working. this would not stop the lead in or lead out.
    Cadcam

If ramp height is greater than 150% of the depth of the cut (or first pass) the lead in/out gets ignored. I had this happen to me for a while before I figured out the cause.

Example:
    Let's say your first pass is .25" and you set your ramp height at .5" you will not get a lead. If you change the ramp to .375" it will work.

Toonz please review my pictures. I am sorry but as you can see what you say is not a golden rule.
    PS Toonz I reread my lat post and I feel I did not come across very well. I did not mean any disrespect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails depthcuts.jpg   ramphight.jpg  
    Cadcam

Smile

toonz - If you really want to use that tool, move the start point of the chain, you will get your leadin/out moves.

If you want to ramp in to the cut, that should be your lead in strategy - I think Mc was designed with the intent of only one machining strategy at a time.

Jay - It's been awhile, I've been in the "other forum".

I see you once in a while over there, but you must live here.