586,966 active members*
2,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Tapping Ti - Tension compression, Tapmatic, or what?

Hybrid View

Re: Tapping Ti - Tension compression, Tapmatic, or what?

I see a carbide three flute, TiAlN coated, 15 degree spiral treadmill on eBay. For about $75, I'm afraid to even buy it. Lol. I've never done any thread milling and I'm just afraid I'll break it.

Re: Tapping Ti - Tension compression, Tapmatic, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
    I see a carbide three flute, TiAlN coated, 15 degree spiral treadmill on eBay. For about $75, I'm afraid to even buy it. Lol. I've never done any thread milling and I'm just afraid I'll break it.
    That's why you buy 3 of them :-). I do test cuts on aluminum starting with multiple step overs to dial in the tool path, then creep up to harder materials.Pay Attn to mfr recommended cutting parameters, and you should be ok. To look at these tiny tools for the first time, I was thinking "there's no way this could work". But they do. I drilled some .006" holes .25" deep. I couldn't even see the flutes on the drill bit !. Lol. Be aware that dropping the tool can snap the shank just under its own weight (no tool holder).I've done it. "Well sh#$#", there goes 50 bucks".

+1 seems like that skinny neck would snap but it doesn't.
    Start with a slightly oversized hole and then see how tight you can thread with the next smaller hole, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by AUSTINMACHINING View Post
    That's why you buy 3 of them :-). I do test cuts on aluminum starting with multiple step overs to dial in the tool path, then creep up to harder materials.Pay Attn to mfr recommended cutting parameters, and you should be ok. To look at these tiny tools for the first time, I was thinking "there's no way this could work". But they do. I drilled some .006" holes .25" deep. I couldn't even see the flutes on the drill bit !. Lol. Be aware that dropping the tool can snap the shank just under its own weight (no tool holder).I've done it. "Well sh#$#", there goes 50 bucks".