588,616 active members*
6,107 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > emc, atom d525, parallel port weirdness: suggestions?

emc, atom d525, parallel port weirdness: suggestions?

I have a brand new Foxconn Atom D525 interfaced to a mill. The mill works fine. (Tested with other hardware.)
    EMC2 seems to work fine. Realtime files exist, the program starts, I don't see any errors.
    The problem is the parallel port. It started out not having any output whatsoever, like the system couldn't even see it. In dmesg there's a warning: lp: driver loaded but no device found.
    I found that if I go into the bios and set the hardware address to 0x278, then go through stepconfig and set a second parallel port card at 0x378, suddenly the internal parallel port *does* work: there's a pulse stream on the step pins, and the direction pins toggle correctly.
    Except the parallel port output is 300 millivolts, which isn't enough to exceed the threshold voltage for the drivers, or the optocouplers I put on the breakout board.

I'm reasonably confused.

I can build a set of op-amps to crank the voltage up, but I don't think I should have to.
    Has anyone else seen this or worked through it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

I don't have any direct experience with that board, but based on a comment from the manufacturer in one of the reviews of the board on newegg.com, it appears that you might be able to get some help directly from Foxconn - at Foxconn Support - Technical Inquiry

I've emailed them and haven't heard anything back so far, and while I have hopes they'll have some fancy bios update to suggest, I figured I'd ask here as well. Still hoping...

which version of emc are you using
    their is some problems with parrell ports , not being correctly setup with some motherboards

although i believe this has been fixed

have you updated emc with latest fixes