588,490 active members*
4,109 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko Drive controller box schematics!

Gecko Drive controller box schematics!

Hi,
    Does any onyone out there have a schematic diagram of controller box that illustrates the wirings of the power supply to the gecko drives and to the computer terminals??

happytriger2000

Thank you WayneHill.
    One more thing, at the bottom right of the schematic: 'Disclaimer', it says 'Error may exist'.., has anyone built a working controller ? if yes, plese post a pic..

thx

Happytriger, I'm pretty sure the schematic is correct. it's dated in 2001. If there was indeed an error, someone would have found and mentioned it.

But here's another you can compare to. This is one that I used while wiring mine. http://www.homecnc.info/servo%20box.pdf

Thank you DAB Design
    Im a biginner, I want to make sure b4 I build it, otherwise it will bring me more problems...With the schmatic, I can ask someone who knows electronics to help me to do the wirings. It has been more than 1 month since I bought the G320 and I still haven built a controller for my machine, cos lack of electronic knowledge..

One more question: what software is best for this controller?

Happytriger2000

Dab,
    One thing I noticed on the wiring diagram that you listed is that the 36V DC fan is connected to the AC terminals of the Bridge! It should go to the DC terminals.
    Art
    AKA Country Bubba (Older Than Dirt)

Happytriger, you'll find that most people here will suggest one of two programs to use. Of course there are others. But the most suggested would be Mach2(www.artofcnc.ca) and TurboCNC(www.dakeng.com).

Mach2 is Windows based. So you need a somewhat fast processor to run it. It is also a bit picky with some hardware.

TurboCNC is DOS based.

I've tried both. I perfer Mach2. The main reason (silly as it may sound) is that it shows the position of an axis as it's moving. TurboCNC only show's "in motion". Not a big deal, but it's something I like.

They both have demos. Download them and try them out. You don't have to have anything hooked up to load them and take a look.

Bubba, I guess I should check to see how mine is wired!

Thank you for your advice DAB Design,...1 more question, Do I need a breakout boards and what is it for?

Happytriger2000

No, you don't need a breakout board. They are basically a go-between your drivers (geckos) and your parallel port. They make wiring easier, and there are several 'flavors' that have different options.

I didn't use one. But will next time.

Maybe someone else can explain what they do better?

I founf this pic in Hobbycnc.com, and I think is very nice and neat having a breakout board install, http://www.homecnc.info/Pics/powerbox-front800.jpg ....

Hi,
    does anyone know the model number of the Breakout board used in this picture:
    http://www.homecnc.info/Pics/powerbox-front800.jpg, please let me know, thank you

Happytriger2000

Happytriger2000

The breakout board I used in that pic was from Dean @ Axxus Technologies. He has now told me that he does not want to make the board anymore. I'm looking at the board from www.cnc4pc.com It looks good for a basic board and not too expensive.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Jeff,
    I've got the breakout board from cnc4pc but haven't hooked it up yet. I think I'm going to like it. Plus cnc4pc offers a few add-ons.

Bloy

Thank you Hmecnc.
    Your controller box is kool, Im trying to build one with a schematics provided in this thread, is also in the attachment, one thing I dont understand is the part circle in red, why X, Y, Z,A axis are connected together at line 12 , and X, Y, Z limit + and - aswell?
    and which part of the schematic is the Breakout Board??

Happytriger2000
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G320 wiring.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Happytriger2000,
    The way I read that portion, you will ONLY be able to home one axis at a time. If you issue a G28 (Home All Axis), as soon as one of the switches triggers, it will think all 4 axis have reached home! On my system,
    1) I use the same switch as Home and Limit
    2) Each axis is on its own pin on the breakout board
    3) Each set of Home/Limits are in series rather than parallel and NC rather than NO as shown on this schematic.

The breakout board is the unit enclosed in the broken line to the left and has the resistors on it. This depicts a "simple" board with no opto isolators etc. The resistors are "pullup" resistors and are being fed by the +5V line.

Hope this helps.
    Art

Bubba, thak you for your reply.
    Basically if I follow the schematics and wire the lines correctly shouldnt be a problem,right?
    I will order a breakout board from Axxus Technologies soon, and hopefully I can get some tips from anymoe here.
    From Figure 2, what are the inputs and where from?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails db1v20pic.gif  

Happytriger2000,
    go to their site at http://members.shaw.ca/axxus/db1v20info.htm
    and they have several diagrams that you can use as a basis of how to hook it up.
    Art

Hope this help..

Happytriger2000,
    Another breakout board that you might want to consider is the PMDX-122. http://www.pmdx.com/ It's the latest version of the PMDX-121 that I have in my controller (from HomeCNC plans w/Mach2 software). I installed the X and Y axes this weekend and it's running great. Still haven't connected the home/limit switches yet but I don't expect there'll be any problems.

-Al

Smile More G320 diagrams

Hello all,
    here are some more G320 wiring diagrams.... open attachment.
    Attached Files Attached Files