587,892 active members*
3,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mill with tapered chuck seems useless

Question Mill with tapered chuck seems useless

I have a MicroMark benchtop milling machine which came with a tapered shaft/chuck assembly for holding the endmill, and it seems as soon as the bit touches the workpeice the chuck falls of and damages the project. It doesn't matter how hard I try to seat the chuck on the taper. For drilling holes this would work fine, but using it with an endmill seems to be a lost cause. Is there a special trick to properly seating the chuck, or is this setup a waste of time for milling?

I have been unable to use the mill for any meaningful projects thus far. I'm thinking that I need to replace the tapered shaft assembly with something that has a chuck directly attached to the shaft, but have not found where such a part if one is available and have not had the luxury of the time to design and make one as I only (attempt to) use it for occasionally. Other than trying to braze the chuck onto the shaft I don't see how this setup can possibly work for milling. Are there any after market replacement parts for this problem? Any Ideas?

The simple answer is, the chuck you are using is a drill chuck. It is not designed for side loads only drilling.

You need to use collets directly in the spindle or get a milling chuck and a set of collets.

What you are finding is that the cost of the mill is just the beginning of spending loads of money.

Are you using a drill chuck for milling? That is a no-no. Drill chucks and the tapers that hold them aren't meant to handle side loads. Use collets or endmill holders.

Endmill holders and collets are threaded for a drawbar. The drawbar keeps the holder/collet firmly against the taper.

I am assuming that your mill is and MT3 taper. You need something like this: LittleMachineShop.com - End Mill Holder Set, 5-Piece 3MT - 3/8-16

or
    LittleMachineShop.com - Collet & Chuck Set, 3MT, ER-32

or simple MT3 collets like this: LittleMachineShop.com - Collet, 1/4" 3MT

plus of course a drawbar.

Good luck!

bob

Thanks Bob!

I knew I was missing some equipment but didn't know where to go look for it. Its been more than 30 years since I touched a mill, and had not thought of looking for collets to fit the machine. The only time I used a collet in the past was with a lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by slcoleman View Post
    I have a MicroMark benchtop milling machine which came with a tapered shaft/chuck assembly for holding the endmill, and it seems as soon as the bit touches the workpeice the chuck falls of and damages the project. It doesn't matter how hard I try to seat the chuck on the taper. For drilling holes this would work fine, but using it with an endmill seems to be a lost cause. Is there a special trick to properly seating the chuck, or is this setup a waste of time for milling?

I have been unable to use the mill for any meaningful projects thus far. I'm thinking that I need to replace the tapered shaft assembly with something that has a chuck directly attached to the shaft, but have not found where such a part if one is available and have not had the luxury of the time to design and make one as I only (attempt to) use it for occasionally. Other than trying to braze the chuck onto the shaft I don't see how this setup can possibly work for milling. Are there any after market replacement parts for this problem? Any Ideas?
    I don't have any room to make fun of anyone for this. I started learning to mill 2 weeks ago when I got my zx45 and I did the same thing. I tried to mill using a drill chuck but it kept falling out. I ended up ordering one of these end mill holder sets on ebay: end mill holder set items - Get great deals on Business Industrial items on eBay.com!

They seem to work fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by slcoleman View Post
    I have a MicroMark benchtop milling machine which came with a tapered shaft/chuck assembly for holding the endmill, and it seems as soon as the bit touches the workpeice the chuck falls of and damages the project. It doesn't matter how hard I try to seat the chuck on the taper.

I could be wrong here ( it has happened to me once or twice before ) but it sounds like you are missing a drawbar to tighten and hold the chuck or collet in the spindle.

You can make your own drawbar with a short length of threaded bar that matches the thread on the thin end of you chuck, you just need enough to stick up a little above the top of the spindle ( remove any removable cap on the top of the spindle ), then cap it with a good sized washer and then finally a nut to tighten the whole arrangement. ( you dont have to tighten it by much, otherwise you will be hammering on it to release when you want to change chucks/collets )

Tim
    Current glazing motto:- Cut to size, Beat to fit