587,419 active members*
3,418 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Uncategorised MetalWorking Machines > Need help... brain to small! collet problems

Need help... brain to small! collet problems

My problem is vocabulary. I have a couple of machines that I am working on and they have a r-8 spindle taper. I am thinking about changing it to what I think is an er16, for tool changing. er16 look like the small versions of the tooling holders that large cnc machines use? Has anyone done this? Does anyone know what I am talking about? I also apologize for the lack of correct terminology, but I have found that unless I know what the terms are, I cannot look in the right places. This drives me crazy. It is as if, to not sound like and idiot, you must first spend time sounding like one. Any thoughts and any corrections on terms is most helpful.

Wether others admit it or not everyone first starting out has some difficulty learning. ER16 collet Tool Holders are used on Large as well as Small machines. I think what you are looking for is an R8 Tool Holder with an Adapter ER16 Collet Set. One way you can brush up on your Terminology (In the Machinist World) is to get a few books that give definitions and practical explainations. The Machinery's Handbook is one. McGraw Hill and Audel are two others that you will find useful. You can find these reference books at www.mscdirect.com and www.use-enco.com as well as the R8 tool holder adapters your looking for. Keep in mind that ER16 collets aren't going to be as rigid as R8 Collets. Depending on what you are machining, the machine your using, and how you are holding your work.

Hope this helps.
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

thank you for your reply. I would think by looking at the er16 if i have named it corectly gives more support hence less deflection.
    TC

thanks for the info i have since done more reading and have indeed miss identified what i was talking about. I am looking at cat40v. Thant is what i am t\alking about. Any ideas?

You can find CAT40 Tool holders in www.mscdirect.com or do a Search for CAT40 Tool Holders. There are many suppliers for CAT40 Tool Holders because they are so widely used in the Machining Industry. Valinite, Iscar, Kennametal, ETM to name a few good ones. Parlec is good and a little cheaper. You will find them at www.use-enco.com page 12 in the Hot Deals Catalog $140. Make sure you get the RIGHT PULL STUD for your machine. The Size will be listed in the machine manual. Do Not Buy Enco Brand Collets. ETM are made by Iscar and are top of the line asside from Hardinge, Royal, and Lyndex.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPAGE?P...006&rfx_page=1
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

www.refractotech.com

thanks!!! So what do i have to do to convert my r8 to cat40? Regrind....wave magical tools while dancing around the machine? Can i simply take out the spindle and have it reprofiled?
    thoughts?

i just looked at my post. I meant thanks... as in "thank you" and not in a sarcastic way.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thseal
    thanks!!! So what do i have to do to convert my r8 to cat40? Regrind....wave magical tools while dancing around the machine? Can i simply take out the spindle and have it reprofiled? thoughts?
    You probably mean it whimsically - dancing round the machine with magic tools that is - but unfortunately, I think, this is what it would need . Cat 40 is much larger in diameter than R8; the small end of the Cat40 taper is around the same diameter as the large end of the R8. I think you would be well into the bearing diameter on the R8 spindle with the large end of the Cat 40. In short .. not possible.

Wink

What Geof said. If I had realized that this is what you wanted this thread would be very short.
    Do you have any other questions TC?

These Pics will show you why this won't work. The pics are from the Machinery's Handbook 26th CDRom.

In the first shot Drawing number 7 is an R8
    Second shot are the dimensions
    The third is a CAT40 and others
    Fourth has the CAT40 dimensions
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R8 NUMBER 7 DIAGRAM.JPG   R8 NUMBER Dimensions.JPG   CAT40 Tool holder.JPG   CAT40 Tool holder dimensions.JPG  

Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

yup that stuffs that idea. the reason i was thinking about this is that an r-8 does not seat to the exact same point every time. it is close but i was looking for repeatability. is there something out there that will do the same thing, without the variance of the r-8? Any ideas. Thanks for the diagrams.....clears that right up.
    TC

Yes, the only other two I can think of at the moment. An R8 taper Tool holder with an ER adapter on the end, and a solid tool holder R8 Taper tool holders that hold the end mill in with a set screw. Look through www.use-enco.com you should find what you are looking for in the Hot Deals or the Master Catalog. MSC tends to be a PITA if you do a search.
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

How about the Tormak tool system?
    http://www.tormach.com/Product_TTS.html

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by pastera
    How about the Tormak tool system?
    http://www.tormach.com/Product_TTS.html

Aaron
    That might do it for The4thSeal. I kind of like that myself. Do you use these? If so, what kind of loads can they handle? Is the R8 taper full? Meaning is it the same length as the taper on an R8 collet? How accurate are they? I can hold .0005 T.I.R with Lyndex/Royal Collets and ETM/Iscar Solid Tool Holders now. With a Boring Head and a little playing .0003 T.I.R. and Size. What size Draw Bar 7/16-20?
    Toby D.
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com

There is a cat30v at least it's listed as an option on our integrex 400-III. Also what about Capto?

Went on google it's listed in the MSC big book. but as far as adapting your spindle to this...? Might be retro fit etc.