588,685 active members*
6,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Syil Products > SX3 Head front panel Caution!

Angry SX3 Head front panel Caution!

Sieg SX3 Mill head front cover removal caution!

On my machine I found out the following the hard way - after almost doing damage - other SX3's may be the same:

Caution the quill DRO slide comes up between a PC board and the cover.

Quill must be down before removing the cover or serious damage could be done.

Drop quill right down and lock with the quill slow winder engagement screw only.

Remove quill clamp screw. Remove 4 main screws - it may be safer to leave top left screw just engaged to support plate while electrical connections are removed. The right side LED bulb lead may be very short - carefully unplug with long nose pliers gripped back on the wires - back away from bulb area.

Then unplug the multiblock connecters and remove the last screw - then remove the toggle switch nut and other connecters - mark the red and blue wire positions.

You will see the DRO slide comes up behind the PC board with only a small clearance from some solder joints. (on my machine this was OK - some 2 - 4 mm clearance - but I covered the solder joints area with a strip of duct tape to be extra sure).

Carefully reassemble in reverse order.

We had an issue with that as well that caused EVERY single board and electrical piece in the machine go bad. Our problem was that the board's screws got loose and it contacted with the z caliper... so everything went POOF right in the middle of a job. When re-assembling, we covered the back of the new board and made sure loctite was used on the nuts.

thanks

Scy

aah....that might be why small springs were fitted on my board mounting screws - to (hopefully) stop vibration movement. Maybe yours was an earlier model? mine arrived a month ago. Maybe I should dismantle mine again and loctite the screws too. Mr Syil if you read this please fill us in.

Mine had the springs as well but it vibrated loose anyways. I think the springs somewhat protect the panel from vibrations though, but not from unscrewing...

But you know what, if I had to chose again, I would still chose Syil america. These guys are awesome at what they do and they have some, if not the best customer service around.

Scy

Cool.........Syil Australia have been good too.