588,585 active members*
13,729 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Another Enclosure : )

7' x 3.5'

Door slides straight up.

Coolant collects in center, mill will be lifted 1" off the pan to get out of the fluid.

Plastic is just light weight plexiglass

The door will be on a track

The pan under the mill I plan on using 1/16 aluminum.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, I saw the other enclosure thread gots some ideas from it.

I am planning on upgrading to the 3hp motor. I want to get the max speed possible should I be shooting for 2000 gallon per minute pump?? Any advise appreciated.

I was looking around Enco did not see any high output flood kits, how much should a good kit go for any links sources thanks

Pump

Here is a link to the pump i use on my mill.
    http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...525&lpage=none
    Its 525 gph. I use 2 water ports at the same time and the pump has plenty of flow. If your pump is to big you can empty your reservoir before it has time to filter back. I use a 15 gallon container for the coolant.
    Dave

How high does it need to be??

Modified

10' x 4' aluminum plate 1/8" thick $411 + 4 cutting setups $15 + $8 for cuts = $512 Industrial metal supply.

some modifactions made the box a bit longer on one side to accomidate the servo on the mill table, reduced size a bit

7' x 40" x 5.75" high on the pan 40" high (will that be hight enough?) I need to keep the flood in the box!

thanks for link to pump is that enough coolant? I was told 1500-2000 gal per hour. how about hoses filters, etc how about even chip convayer?

enclosure

Rich05
    My enclosure is very similar to yours.I have posted thes pics before. I have one center drain and in the channels i have screen rolled and rtv in place. i started with a 750gph pump and after about an hour of running i could empty the 15 gallon reservoir before it could drain back. If i was doing it again i would have 3 drains and then could run a bigger pump. The screens do a good job of getting the big chips but the smaller ones go to the bottom of the tank. I clean the tank about every 3 months. The pump has a filter on it and is mounted about 4inch up from bottom of the tank. Also a bubbler from a fish tank is needed to keep the fluid from getting nasty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAGE_007.jpg   IMAGE_072.jpg  

very nice

I saw your pictures before very nice! How big is your enclosure on the inside around the mill 4x8?

What GPH pump would you recomend do you have any links?

I looked Mcmaster there flood pumps max out around 600GPH. Not sure where to start with pumps, filters and such.

Definitly want to get allot of coolant on the part.

wow nice set-up.

I agree. Looks nice.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Draw bar access?

Rich - You may want to look at where the head will be during tool changes an be sure your vertical door won't hinder access to the drawbar.

Then again you could try to rig a power drawbar.

Probably a really dumb question

The central drain design looks very tidy. But I have a concern. Do you have problems reaching in under the mill to clear swarf?

I am considering building a similar bench and enclosure for my IH mill. So that I can start creating the CAD file, I need some measurements, anyone? I need to know the total maximum height of the mill when the Z axis is moved all the way up away from the X-axis. This will tell me the max height of the enclosure. Also, what is the width and length where the bolts secure the bed of the mill to the bench (measurements between the bolts)?

The main purpose of this enclosure is to provide fluid coolant protection as well as sound absorption.

Can some provide these dimensions? Oh, my IH CNC mill will ship to me in 4 weeks and this is why I am asking you folks.

Thanks,

Done finally!

Sure got some TIG welding practice! The pump in is 25 gallon container about 1000 GPH, 9GPM +/-, 5 x 3" drain tubes keep coolant moving. I have a bubbler in the tank and a oil skimmer belt on the way.

How much faster can I go now???

Rich......

Damn that is looking good!! You must be pretty happy now that you have flood coolant especially at that velocity. I am getting started on my conversion right now and just placed an order for my ballscrews and nuts and got my gecko g320's on the way. Also got some motors here now. Trying to figure out the setup I am gonna use for the belt drive and how I am gonna mount my encoders on the screws the way I want to. Congrats on a nice setup that I hope to be there someday soon. It seems like these machines are pretty well regarded by their owners for them to go thru all the trouble of building sweet enclosures and everything. Must be more than just a toy I guess huh!! Peace man....

Pete Matos
    865-363-9218

thanks Pete, was a bigger task than I expected but its great to have an enclosure now.

-no chips leave the enclosure, and no water gets on the floor
    -the parts are clean of chips after cutting just lift them out, no cleaning them off
    -using the air hose to keep the chips away is a thing of the past / the compressor can be left off, much less noise. Maybe the servos like that too.
    -the garage seems cooler now with the water
    -not breathing the mist now

Just need to learn to manage the coolant now. the way oil is getting in the coolant, I am getting a skimmer and a refractometer.

The main reason I made it for higher speed remains still to be seen how much more speed can get. I kept it as simple as possible, so far no leaks heh.

Keep us updated!

R.