587,331 active members*
3,395 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Face/Shell Mill Arbor

I just bought a new face mill for my manual mill and need an arbor for it. It has a 1.5" bore.

I bought a cheapie from Grizzly awhile back for a different face mill and it SUCKS. It was about $30.... the metal used to make the retaining bolt was so crappy that the allen socket completely rounded out and then broke into crumbs. I had to replace it with a regular hex bolt from the hardware store. It works but there is still a lot of flex and some minor runout. The flex translates this minor indicated runout into major runout in the workpiece.

So I need a high quality R8 x 1.5" shell mill arbor. MSC sells one under the name of Accupro (house brand?) and ETM (another house brand?). I'm weary of these house branded products. Can I trust them? They're about $100/$90 respectively.

The last thing I want is another flexy POS made of "mystery metal".

Thanks for any info on Accupro/ETM products in general, as well as alternative sources you can provide for me.

Arbor

Accupro or ETM are not just house brands. They are not the best on the market, but they should be good enough to get the job done. What kind of face mill is it? Most companies sell arbors to go with their face mills

Thanks.

The face mill is a Kennametal.

EMT from ENCO work fine for me.

ETM is a regular brand. Accupro is an import knockoff brand it can range from good to to fair quality. MSC is a good company to deal with. They bought J.&L. recently. Stay with the mid price products or premium imports on the low end. If you go for the lowest price stuff it is usually disapointing. Although I have purchased some of the low price import boring heads and found them to be pretty decent. Kennametal is good stuff but PRICEY.

Thanks. I'm leaning toward the ETM now. It's actually about 10-15 bucks less than the accupro.

The Kennametal was purchased off ebay... big 6" face mill, brand new, that holds 12 inserts. Came with 300 new valenite inserts... all for a cool $250.

Ebay has opened a lot of doors for low budget, 1-man shops like myself.