588,687 active members*
6,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Unwanted axis movement

Unwanted axis movement

Hey all,
    We have a 1993 6030 with the Numatix retrofit. Up until now I have been really pleased with the performance. Yesterday I indicated a fixture in on the A axis. After I was finished, I went to jog Z out of the way so I could get my indicator out of the spindle. As I was doing this, the A axis started rotating, Z axis went south (RIP .0001 B&S indicator),X axis went + and Y went-. This control does not allow simultaneous axis jogging so I have ruled that out. I did nothing to cause this. So I figured it was just a control error. I shut it down and restarted it and resumed to indicating it in again, and the A axis started drifting. As it was doing this, the A axis display did not change. That gets me to thinking that the encoder is bad. I started wiggling some wires and it started changing on the display. I have narrowed it down to a bad connection on the encoder for the A axis. My question is why did the other axes move? Anyone out there have this control? Was it just a fluke? Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks for your help!

Very Odd I would be calling Numeryx for an answer.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

This is the Numatix control. I think they are they same but different if you know what I mean. I pulled the cover off and found coolant in the cover where the servo is. It seems the drain hole was plugged up with shipping foam and would not let the coolant drain. I was inspecting the connectors on the encoder and they were green and one pin was nearly corroded in half. So I have cleaned the drain hole and I am going to re-do the terminations with a Deutsch connector. It still baffles me as to why all 4 axes would move as opposed to the rotary.
    Thanks