588,202 active members*
4,689 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 1100M Height

1100M Height

I noticed that the 1100M is a 96" height requirement as opposed to the 84" for the 1100 Series 3. Does anyone know what drives this? Is there any wiggle room? I have a 90" ceiling and I'd hate to miss out on the better machine over a few inches of travel I'd probably never use.

Re: 1100M Height

I'll let you know once my new machines come in (2wks). One guy I saw cut a hole above that allowed the E-Chain to have a place to go. He, re-sheet rocked it and it looked pretty sweet!
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Thanks! Yea I considered cutting the ceiling, even that may be close.

I'd be fine sacrificing the extra travel, but I'm concerned the machine has to move to full height when it's homing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmesa View Post
    Thanks! Yea I considered cutting the ceiling, even that may be close.

I'd be fine sacrificing the extra travel, but I'm concerned the machine has to move to full height when it's homing.
    I'm pretty sure it will have to go to top Z height to home first. Maybe Tormach could walk you through moving your home location and modifying the controller to just have less Z height....
    The Body Armor Dude - Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmesa View Post
    I noticed that the 1100M is a 96" height requirement as opposed to the 84" for the 1100 Series 3. Does anyone know what drives this? Is there any wiggle room? I have a 90" ceiling and I'd hate to miss out on the better machine over a few inches of travel I'd probably never use.
    My s3 mill, the spindle head sheet metal is a little over 84" when on home switch and cable guide goes another 10" higher. I guess maybe my stand legs are adjusted a little high.

If you look at the attached drawing, it's 81" to the top of the z axis motor and the 96" is to the top of the cable tracking. Find a way to re-route the cabling and you're all set. hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Concepts_Design View Post
    If you look at the attached drawing, it's 81" to the top of the z axis motor and the 96" is to the top of the cable tracking. Find a way to re-route the cabling and you're all set. hope this helps

I talked to Tormach support and found out that the drawing is actually wrong. They said it’s approx. 92”. They suggested adjusting the soft limits, or the home switch or playing with the cable guide.

I figured there would be something I could do to get rid of the E-chain, but I don’t know enough about the cables themselves to know if I can re-route them.

Smokediver, curious to get your opinion in a couple weeks.