588,159 active members*
4,810 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Pulsar - How to Remove Lever Draw Bar?

Pulsar - How to Remove Lever Draw Bar?

I am trying to remove the Lever Draw bar. Not sure if I am doing it right. I removed the four screws holding the draw bar to the head assembly, Draw bar is loose. I can spin it around and rock it back and forth 1/8" or so but can not lift if off the head. Should I be able to simply lift it off the head or does it have to be pried a little. I don't want to damage anything.

Steve

Re: Pulsar - How to Remove Lever Draw Bar?

Remove the larger Allen bolt from the front of the LDB. Then unscrew the big block and handle from the LDB base. Once it's off, remove the drawbar and Belleville springs. You should them be able to remove the lower part of the LDB.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Thanks Ray. That was easy. Now to remove the collet and lube as you suggest.
    Steve

Steve - the collet removes easily when the LDB is off. JUst unscrew the drawabar - on mine a 3/4" socket (or maybe 17mm ?) fits around the nut. You don't have to remove the bellevilles to remove the collet.

But if you want to lube the bellevilles with anti-seize you just remove the drawbar and then pick out the bellveilles from the spindle. Try to keep in mind the orientation of the bellevilles - ie ()()()() or (())(()).

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Steve - the collet removes easily when the LDB is off. JUst unscrew the drawabar - on mine a 3/4" socket (or maybe 17mm ?) fits around the nut. You don't have to remove the bellevilles to remove the collet.

But if you want to lube the bellevilles with anti-seize you just remove the drawbar and then pick out the bellveilles from the spindle. Try to keep in mind the orientation of the bellevilles - ie ()()()() or (())(()).
    I finally had some time today. Removed the collet, cleaned, applied anti-seize to both the collet and belleville washers. Set the torque on the draw bar nut to 20lbs using a cheap HF 3/8" torque wrench. I now have to apply about 4-6 times the force on the lever draw bar than I did before to release the tool, Is this normal?

After dinner I'll run the same code that I had to TTS pullout and see how it works out.

Steve

Steve - yeah - the LDB should just barely be able to release the tool. You probably could back off a bit on the torque - to maybe 15lb-ft if it is really that difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by brianbonedoc View Post
    Steve - yeah - the LDB should just barely be able to release the tool. You probably could back off a bit on the torque - to maybe 15lb-ft if it is really that difficult.
    Thanks Brian, I'll give it a try tonight and see how it works out. As you say it just barely releases the tool.
    Steve