587,935 active members*
4,259 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: 7X12 ?'s

7X12 ?'s

Hi!

I've already used the search here. Not really a lot to offer there. And I find the yahoo groups frustrating to use.

I have a Cummins 7X12 lathe I purchased two years ago, done the improvements, and am interested in CNC'ing it. I find myself in need more than want.

Have a few questions for those in the know on 7x12 CNC conversions.

1]- Looking at the Ron Steele conversion kit. Don't have time to monkey with the plans, plus I don't own a mill. Anything anyone would like to mention on this kit or bring to my attention? Any improvements you would add? The gentleman has been absoultly great in answering questions. Now I'm looking "in the field" input.

2]- Anyone done a ballscrew on these lathes? Seems to be some hard info to obtain.

3]- Looking at the Xylotex 3 axis 269 oz kit. Or, would I be better off with the 425's ? Again, this Gentleman has been absoultly fantastic in help.

4]- Anything compairable to the Xylotex set up?

Yes, I'm new to CNC, and have put much time in research. Already have a CAD and learning that. Also looking hard into Mach3.

What I'm after is a totally realiable from the get go set up. I don't mind the learning curve, just want the set up as realiable and accurate as can be asked off it.

I'll gladly take PM's !

Thanks!

I'd be interested to find out any suggestions as well. I'm looking into using a Probotix 4-axis kit for my mini mill, and thinking about leveraging the driver and an additional pair of steppers on a 7x12 Pro-Tech mini lathe I recently came into (plug-n-go, lathe or mill). The big questions seem to be:

- What size steppers are recommended for that size of lathe?

- How do I convert the fine vs coarse wheels into something that can be driven by steppers?

Thanks!

-R

Cool 7x12 stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshMan View Post
    Hi!

I've already used the search here. Not really a lot to offer there. And I find the yahoo groups frustrating to use.

I have a Cummins 7X12 lathe I purchased two years ago, done the improvements, and am interested in CNC'ing it. I find myself in need more than want.

Have a few questions for those in the know on 7x12 CNC conversions.

1]- Looking at the Ron Steele conversion kit. Don't have time to monkey with the plans, plus I don't own a mill. Anything anyone would like to mention on this kit or bring to my attention? Any improvements you would add? The gentleman has been absoultly great in answering questions. Now I'm looking "in the field" input.

2]- Anyone done a ballscrew on these lathes? Seems to be some hard info to obtain.

3]- Looking at the Xylotex 3 axis 269 oz kit. Or, would I be better off with the 425's ? Again, this Gentleman has been absoultly fantastic in help.

4]- Anything compairable to the Xylotex set up?

Yes, I'm new to CNC, and have put much time in research. Already have a CAD and learning that. Also looking hard into Mach3.

What I'm after is a totally realiable from the get go set up. I don't mind the learning curve, just want the set up as realiable and accurate as can be asked off it.

I'll gladly take PM's !

Thanks!
    Hi Marshman,
    I will try to answer as best I can.

1.No input on this item as I have not used his products and havn't started my lathe conversion.

2. It seems that when running a lathe many times you can program in the ability to cut in one direction only and not worry about ballscrews all that much. Or at the very least use it on the z (long) axis only.

3.I would go with the 269's. The 425's are overkill for a machine that small.

4.Gecko g540 will run circles around the xylotex and it is tranferable to bigger machines in the future. The price is higher but it has a greater application as far as machines go.
    I have the xylotex 4 axis kit on my Taig and It "works", but there is now a much better alternative in the g540.

You could also go with 2 g251's and a breakout board to save a few dollars especially it is customer appreciation days at Gecko.
    http://geckodrive.com/product.aspx?c=3&i=14471
    2 @$49= 98 plus 2 motors from Keling
    http://www.kelinginc.net/NEMA23Motor.html

Look for these.
    KL23H284-35-4B (1/4” Dual shaft with a flat) 387 oz-in
    Specification Price: $49
    ( in Stock, Designed for G540)
    These motors are matched to the g251/g540 3.5 amp max and are close to its max voltage. Should give very good power and speed.
    2 motors and 2 drivers, plus power supply
    KL-300-48 48V/5A 110V
    $49.95 will be ~$250 Vs 3 axis xylotex 24v ~$310
    Both of these controls should be used with a breakout board to protect the computers pport.

5. As a Mach3 mill user I would say go for it. I have looked at Mach3 turn and I am going to use it on my lathe when I get there.

Quote Originally Posted by arpieb View Post
    I'd be interested to find out any suggestions as well. I'm looking into using a Probotix 4-axis kit for my mini mill, and thinking about leveraging the driver and an additional pair of steppers on a 7x12 Pro-Tech mini lathe I recently came into (plug-n-go, lathe or mill). The big questions seem to be:

- What size steppers are recommended for that size of lathe?

- How do I convert the fine vs coarse wheels into something that can be driven by steppers?

Thanks!

-R
    See above recomendations on motors.

If you search around there are a bunch of ways to convert to cnc motors. Basically you remove the hand wheel and direct drive the lead screw with the motor. Some sort of antibacklash flex coupling is a good idea to prevent binding.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Thank You or the reply TotallyRC!

I'll research the items you've mentioned. Thanks again!

Marsh,
    A little late, but you might want to try these guys: http://www.gunhead.com/GMW/index.html