587,698 active members*
3,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Low cost CAD/CAM Solution with MasterCAM style and feel

Low cost CAD/CAM Solution with MasterCAM style and feel

I am looking for a low cost CAD/CAM Soltion similar to MAsterCAM I have checked out DolphinCAM, BobBAD, VisualMILL. But it seems that all of these lack something BobCAD Lacks 4th Axis and i have also heard alot of horror stories about thme and their product. DolphinCAM lacks Import features of several different types. VisualMill lacks CAD features. is their anything out htere that is compable to MasterCAM for the low low price of not MasterCAM. Has anyone had experiences with any of the software mentioned above as it is down to one of these Three i just don't know which one yet i am trying to get as much info as possible to help me make my decision.

you try bob cad/cam 2007 i though it was the closes

Low cost CAM

native34,

I hate to be the one to tell you this but you get what you pay for. If you want high quality efficient toolpaths, you are going to have to break out the checkbook. We (Sescoi) offer very easy to use, highly efficient, powerful toolpathing solutions. The problem for you is, it is not cheap. If you want to see what we have to offer, we do allow prospects to evaluate our software completely free. You can find us at www.sescoi.com

Sincerely,
    Shawn

Look at Visual mill Pro...

I got it packaged with Alibre, but it is a little more costly of the low cost CADCAM's and has 4 axis... with support option... I paid about $2500.

I have BCC V22 with CD's... but it was not for me...I'm going to try and sell it.

Steve

i wish mastercam made a striped down version for hobbies and you could buy add-on like 4th axis. i use it at work but for home it too expensive. that Sescoi looks very interesting i never herd of it i will have to do some looking in to it.

WorkXPlore 3D

Ok here you go guys! This is not WorkNC but it is a free viewer that we are giving out. It will give you a taste of some of the powerful tools we have to offer! Check it out and let me know what you think. Here is a little intro on what it can do for you. Enjoy!!

WorkXPlore is the ideal tool for directly displaying and analyzing 3D design files without having to rely on the original CAD application. The software is very easy to use and is designed for users who are not CAD experts to explore any type of 2D/3D CAD file.

WorkXPlore enables you to make all kinds of measurements on 3D parts and offers advanced analysis features which allow you to determine undercut areas, plane surfaces, thickness, volumes, surfaces, weight and also to perform dynamic cross-sectional visualization.
    2D drawings are no longer necessary as you can directly add dimensional and geometric measurements, annotations and labels to the 3D model.
    WorkXPlore 3D also allows you to communicate 3D parts and assemblies files to sub-contractors, customers or colleagues via a standalone and extremely compact application which can be easily transmitted via the Internet. The recipient can immediately display and work on the 3D model received.
    WorkXPlore 3D is extremely fast opening and processing large, even very large, 3D files.

The software features a very varied set of tools for simplifying and optimizing 3D model processing, ranging from 3D file comparison to relatively simple or complex cinematic animations and exploded views.

If you would like to download it for free follow this link.
    In the US http://www.sescoi.com/us/products/wo...free-download/
    In the UK http://www.sescoi.com/uk/products/wo...free-download/

Mastercam starts at $3300 including maintenance for 1 year.
    Mastercam Mill Level 1 costs $5500 and does support some 4th axis machining.

The best part is it's Mastercam. A quality product with a reputation for getting the job done. Lots of translators (in & out). 2d design, 3D surface modeling.

No it's not as cheap as Bobcam or Dolphin. But it's much more powerful and it's upgradable.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mattera View Post
    No it's not as cheap as Bobcam or Dolphin. But it's much more powerful and it's upgradable.

Mike Mattera

I will not speak for bobcam. I could go on and on but will not do so here. I will speak for dolphin though as I am a dolphin user. I use dolphin cad cam on a daily basis as well as surfcam quite a bit for our more complex 3 axis needs. When we run our regulars, drilling, pocketing as well as our 2 axis lathe, I find dolphin as simple as anything I have ever used. Do I have the oppurtunity to use surfcam, you bet. Why don't I? Because I can get it done just as quick in dolphin without any hassle.

As far as what can you get for low cost that has the same feel as mastercam? I really don't think you will find anything like that. Mastercam is a very good program that is unique in it's own way. As Mike said, if you're doing basic work, $3300 could get you started. I dont think there is a mastercam clone out there, am I correct Mike??????

In the early days of Surfcam, they copied the Mastercam interface quite closely. They even developed their post engine to use Mastercam posts. That was the straw that broke the Camels back. I think they got sued for using the same (propriatery (sp?)) format for the posts.

But no one else that I've seen has come that close to copying the Mcam interface/format.

And... Believe me, I understand that $3300 is $3300 when you dont have $3300 to spend. If all I had was $600 in my budget, you can bet I'd be looking at the Bob's and Dolphin's of the world. I liked Dolphin. For the money it worked well. I could make decent toolpaths. Even the post language wasn't too bad to figure out.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

Makes sense. Im suprised bobcad hasnt tried to clone the software at all.

I don't see mention of OneCNC in this software search yet. It is worth a look for the first time shopper, I think the basic starting point is about $3500 without the 3d modelling module turned on. However, its still a good basic package, and even the lowest level still gets advanced features like high speed toolpaths, full simulation, verification, etc. You can ask for an online demo, so as to get a feel for it. No salesmen will ever pester you about buying it. You can also sell your copy to another person (at a discount, of course because that is the only reason for someone to look at it) without trying to hide it.

Since buying software is something like buying shoes, one particular brand may be a really good fit, others, not so much. There is something out there for everyone
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Not a onecnc user or a mastercam user. I use dolphin cam myself but, with all due respect, I would prefer mastercam over onecnc any day. It is kinda crazy that mastercams entry level is $3300 vs onecncs $3500. Why in the world does one cnc cost more than mastercam? I have seen both and dont think onecnc can touch mastercam.

So far I like my EZcam starter package for$1400.00, with one day tutoring in my case.I can draw my part, make a tool path,generate G code and then watch the machine make the part.WOW
    Then after a while I make the changes to speed things up a little.
    When I first got my Colchester Storm A50 lathe and my Comet Mill with Dyna 50 controller,I swear I did not even Know how to turn them on let alone make em mouve not to mention the sleep disorder....
    I,m a welder by trade but picked up machine shop skills as well as conventional lathe, mill machines over the years.so you could say I had a head start for the machining aspect of it, but I had no clue as to this x y z G code stuff.Steepest learning curve in my life ever.....Spouse had me sleeping on the couche I twitced so much....Oodles of parts had to be drawn,made n deliverd.Aahhhh
    But fortunatly the machines came with EZ Cam.Once I had the one day training on the lathe(conversational)Mill and software and understood the basic idea of what I was doing and why. I could generate code and then modify it to suite the purpose at hand.
    I have not used any othr software than EZ Cam but from what I've been reading in these forums it seems pretty powerfull for the money.Sure it's not perfect but neither am I.
    You can draw it like most other software I guess.Create toolpathes and then simulate them in 3D,just like a little movie(I'm impressed every time still)Once I'm satisfied with what I see I post a G code and voila le tour est jouer!
    I kind of like this idea of a homebuilt router/plasma table.I don't know if EZ Cam can generate code to run it though.I guess it would depend on the controller used.As I have not made enuff research on this one I'll leave it for now.
    I am seriously thinking of mouving up to 3 axis machining maybe EZ-Cam 16 which even does 4 axis for mill and y axis for lathe.EZ Cam is based on Rhino.
    I've already invested in what seems to be not too bad and for a bit more$$ should in theory have a package that I could make anything with.?
    Does anyone out there use EZ Cam?Is there an affordable or comparable software?
    Catia would be my dream software.
    Claude

Quote Originally Posted by harley4ever View Post
    Not a onecnc user or a mastercam user. I use dolphin cam myself but, with all due respect, I would prefer mastercam over onecnc any day. It is kinda crazy that mastercams entry level is $3300 vs onecncs $3500. Why in the world does one cnc cost more than mastercam? I have seen both and dont think onecnc can touch mastercam.
    For a $200 difference, they both bear looking into and comparing the features and the interface. Hearsay doesn't count for much when you are looking for the best fit.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    Since buying software is something like buying shoes, one particular brand may be a really good fit, others, not so much. There is something out there for everyone
    This is the best advise that can be given to anyone buying CAD/CAM Software for the first time.

Cheers Hu:cheers:
    Toby D.
    "Imagination and Memory are but one thing, but for divers considerations have divers names"
    Schwarzwald

www.refractotech.com