588,191 active members*
7,976 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Show us your Console or Pendant!

I'm working through what I want on my Mill Console and would love to see what others have done. Please post link's or pictures, as well as list your control program and what type of machine its all used on. It all will be much appreciated!

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi Jerry,

Here are some I am working on or using on a machine...

The one called "BigRouter-OperatorPanel" is for my CNC woodcutting router. This is used with the MACH software

The image of the called "Lathe Controller" is for a pending lathe conversion that I hope to get to sometime soon. This will be running MACH software as well.

The image called MM-OperatorPanel" is for my PCB router I am building. This one will be running my own CNC control software. This machine is nearing completion if I would ever stop adding bells and whistles to it :-)

Chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BigRouter-OperatorPanel.jpg   LatheController.jpg   MM_OperatorPanel.jpg  

Here is my control console - this photo was taken before it was completed but you get the idea. It's for my manual Bridgeport conversion. I run Mach3 and Geckos. I use a programable game controller for a jog pendant.

What would I do different? I would leave more room for the electronics and wiring. Don't cramp yourself - you will always need more room than you think!

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BP panel construct small.JPG  
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Some very nice looking console's guys. I'm impressed! I'm not a machine operator as of yet so I don't really know what I'll want or need. [Hence the thread ] I'm working on a planning out in point form all that I want and then plan to figure out how to impliment it. What type of interfaces [cards] are you using to hook this all up? Just the standard B/o boards? ModIO?

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Those are great looking pendants. Would anyone be willing to post a schematic of thier pendant? Especially for Mach3 based machines? I'm interested in how these panels are wired.

NEATman

Search for 'scematic' or 'gecko schematic' - you will find many, many posts by Ynneb, CJL5585 and Mariss that are extremely helpful.

In my cabinet, I chose to place all of the drives and other components (except the power supplies) on a pull-out tray to facilitate cooling and future troubleshooting. These pics were from before I began wiring it all up - it is not quite as clean and clear now!

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Tray.JPG   Tray2.JPG  

Very Nice Scott! What are those tan colored unit's on the DIN rail? Relays?

Do you like working w/ that DIN stuff or does it really matter?

NeatMan, if you go here you'll find my last drawn schematic. It's changed a bit since I last put it up, but if you stay tuned I'll be putting another final version up on that thread once I get some of this console stuff figured out.

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JerryFlyGuy
    Very Nice Scott! What are those tan colored unit's on the DIN rail? Relays?
    Do you like working w/ that DIN stuff or does it really matter?
    Jerry
    The narrow tan things are just terminal blocks and the wider tan things are fuse holders for the Geckos. The big grey thing is a relay socket for my E-stop circuit.

The boards are: a break-out board (bob), a solid state relay board and the smallest one is for spindle speed - all are from CNC4PC.COM. The boards are all mounted on plastic stand-offs and the Geckos are mounted directly to the 1/8" aluminum tray to dissipate heat.

The signal wires are seperated from the power wires and are shielded cable. The shield is grounded on one end only - near each Gecko drive.

And, yes - I like the convenience of the DIN mounted stuff and I use it whenever the situation allows. I even have DIM mounted power supplies.

Scott

Niffty! Those are huge term blocks

What size of wire are you using there for power conduction to your Gecko's?

Is that conduit stuff, just your run-of-the-mill stuff from like Lowe's? [for on walls and in offices etc]

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JerryFlyGuy
    What size of wire are you using there for power conduction to your Gecko's?

Is that conduit stuff, just your run-of-the-mill stuff from like Lowe's? [for on walls and in offices etc]

Jerry
    Wire size - I will need to check but I believe it is 14ga.

Yes - the white stuff on the edges of the tray was purchased from Lowes. Good eye! It's pretty convenient. MSC has similar stuff in a larger variety of sizes, but that stuff was on hand and it fit the bill.

Scott

My lathe panel:

Details here: http://www.thewarfields.com/MTLatheCNCPanel.htm

Other panels I researched here:

http://www.thewarfields.com/MTCNCPanels.htm

Enjoy!

BW

There are some nice consoles pictured, I recently asked for any ideas for usefull pendant controls in my router build log, glad I had a look at this thread, now I know that I need EVERYTHING in my control panel...lol

I especially like the screens built in, gives a very professional look, I am thinking of building the machine first and using it to engrave a nice panel and retrofit it to the machine at a later stage... so many things on the "To Do" list.

Russell.

Another awesome thread I missed! Very nice controllers. You guys would make some controller manufacturers nervous!