587,794 active members*
3,008 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Mori Seiki MSG-501 (Fanuc 18i-MB) Interfacing (ethernet and DPRNT)

Mori Seiki MSG-501 (Fanuc 18i-MB) Interfacing (ethernet and DPRNT)

Hey all,

My first post, thanks for making such a useful forum, i have referenced a few times and now need to ask for help...

I have had great success networking fanuc controls, such as the 18i-MBs we have on hardinge vmc's, and 31i-MA on a fanuc robodrill... but have not been able to use FTP or any network functionality on an 18i-MB on a Mori Seiki NH-5000 HMC... In fact i can't even access any way to get files from an FTP server, although on the fanuc side (behind Mori's MSG-501) i am able to configure the embedded ethernet and assign an FTP server on the network to look for...

i can also ping the machine and get a response on a pc...

any ideas?

also, i am not able to receive DPRNT commands on either of the two rs232 ports, nor as a way to xfer for ftp... now matter how i configure the settings for port/io channel/etc

i'd love to talk to someone with one of these on a network!

thanks
    - gwarble

Joel Steffen
    OMW Corporation
    Novato, CA

FTP/STORAGE

Your machine might be set up in FTP mode which doesn't allow you to use it as a FTP server. What you want to do is change it to storage mode. You can do this by pressing the SYsTEM hard key and then the RIGHT ARROW soft key at the bottom of the screen (4X) I believe until you see DS-MTN soft key at the bottom of the screen. This is the Data Server Maintainence and will show either Storage mode or FTP mode. You'll want to change the mode and can do so in MDI from your mode selector.

thanks for the response...

unfortunately what i'm really after IS ftp access, as there is no data server option installed on this machine... (meaning no DS-MTN config)

the interface i'm trying to use is "Embedded Ethernet" which as far as I know will only allow FTP or FOCAS connections...

i have an FTP server on the network, and a couple hardinges with 18i-MB's also, currently able to grab files from the ftp server

the problem is that the Mori side of the MSG-501 interface doesn't have any path to follow to pull files from an FTP server... only RS232C, "Remote", and "Card" options are available

if anyone has this working, what are the steps you use to get files from the ftp server?? on a non-mori 18i-MB its [edit] <optr> <->> <host> <embed> enter the file number and <read>

otherwise, can i get out of the msg-501 interface and try it in the pure fanuc side in any way?

thanks again
    - joel

PM me. I can tell you how to turn off the mapps, but I will not show it on an open forum. To turn it off for good requires special mapps software that Mori says they never had, but I have it.

Set parameter 20 = 9
    *~~Darwinian Man, though well-behaved, At best is only a monkey shaved!~~*
    *__________If you feel inclined to pay for the support you receive__________*
    *_______Please give to charity https://www.oxfam.org.au/get-involved/_______*

hey

sounds good in theory... except the Mori interface restricts I/O channel to 0-3 and won't allow 9 to be input.

On the fanuc side (after exiting MAPPS) i'm able to set I/O channel (param 20) to 9 and access the embedd softkeys like a normal 18i-MB... (optr, host, embedd)

thanks for the reply
    - joel

for more information:

mori nh5000

electrical cabinet has two ethernet ports inside the electrical cabinet, one on a simple bracket which does not work (and shows up on my router as connected but no signal) and one on the 18i-MB yellow fanuc box, which does work, gets an ip and is pingable (even in the MAPPS interface, but there's no MAPPS way to access FTP from what i can find) and i get the (optr/host/embed) softkeys when in pure fanuc mode (exiting MAPPS) when switching to i/o channel 9 (which, in MAPPS, is limited to the range 0-3)

the same bracket inside the cabinet has a second rs232 port, which doesnt seem to work for me, in addition to the rs232 on the control panel, which does work... (i/o channel and port# changing has no effect on getting the second rs232 (db25 connector) port to work...

my ultimate goal is to be able to transfer files over ethernet (from an ftp server) of course, for speed... on the MAPPS side the "network" hard key does nothing (and the manual says it does nothing) and there is no "data server" option from what i can see, but the ethernet port on the yellow fanuc box does have another pcmcia memory card slot (in addition to the one on the control panel)

the secondary goal is to be able to DPRNT out the rs232 port(s) for machine monitoring... that is if i can't DPRNT over ftp (my 18i-mb's on hardinge vmc's will not dprnt over ethernet... my fanuc robodrill 31i controlled robodrill can (spits out %OUT%.DAT or something)... maybe this is parameter based

anyway i'm starting to ramble...

has anyone run this machine in pure fanuc mode for long periods of time? anything missing that can't be found outside of MAPPS (besides conversational programming and pretty screens... but my shop runs 0-M, 0-MD, 0-T, 18MB, 0i-MC, 18i-MB, and a 31i control so we're used to that interface anyway ([<optr>][->][READ][EXEC] rings in my mind)

i'm new to this board but appreciate all the quick responses and help
    - joel

Simple answer.....Yes.
    You will have no way to totally eliminate mapps without having to go through that procedure every time you boot up. There is a software "phantom" patch that me and one guy in Japan have. If you call Mori, or Ellison, they will say it can't and has never been done. Ha! We put a Mapps SH403 in a cell system with 3 no Mapps machines, and guess what..It wouldn't work right with the STD machines. Same Ethernet transfers the programs you are trying to use. It's been at least 4 years since i did one though, I still have the Mapps version, but I don't even know if my card still has the proper format on it. Some of the function buttons will be different though.

You can toggle the Fanuc Parameter 20 channel designation in cycle if you want.
    You can also set seperate input and output channels. So you always input from say Channel 5 (Data Server) and always output to Channel 0 (Rs232).
    Note that on Mori's you will need to open the cabinet to look at the RS232 ports - sometimes the 25 pin socket on the control is not connect to JD36A (the DPRNT RS232 port Channel 0). I've had this on Mori milling machines, and often found a second 25 pin connector lying unconnected on the inside of the control.

Quote Originally Posted by guypb View Post
    You can toggle the Fanuc Parameter 20 channel designation in cycle if you want.
    You can also set seperate input and output channels. So you always input from say Channel 5 (Data Server) and always output to Channel 0 (Rs232).
    Note that on Mori's you will need to open the cabinet to look at the RS232 ports - sometimes the 25 pin socket on the control is not connect to JD36A (the DPRNT RS232 port Channel 0). I've had this on Mori milling machines, and often found a second 25 pin connector lying unconnected on the inside of the control.
    Yes you can, ON A STRAIGHT FANUC. His problem is going through the Mapps panel. He has a newer Mori, so there are 2 RS232 ports, one inside the cabinet (Fanuc side) and one on the front panel (Mapps side). Mori wants to sell the network option on the machines, so the Mapps lan port is invisible. It can be turned on, and usually it was just a MAPPS parameter.

still no progress on this except that the straight fanuc side works fine, must be a mori option that isnt activated

after backing out and using sample, i noticed startup.cmd, which if i had a way to edit from loading "mori" to what "sample.cmd" calls...

dir, cd, .. commands work (its os/2 i guess, i just tried dos commands)

and "type sample.cmd" or "type startup.cmd" (after "cd gop3" or "cd ..") will display them but i dont know how to edit them

- gwarble

No os editor that i've found on the mapps side. Can be tranfered to a card and edited but the card has to be this crazy format to boot it back to the system. The cards had to be formated using a win98 PC, and some crazy codes. I had the procedure somewhere, but I don't have a win 98 machine any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by gwarble View Post
    my fanuc robodrill 31i controlled robodrill can (spits out %OUT%.DAT or something)... maybe this is parameter based
    When using DPRNT with Embedded Ethernet (Data I/O Channel 9), the file created is actually $OUT$.DAT.

However the problem is that with each POPEN / PCLOS the output file gets overwritten. Anyone have any ideas how to set the control to append?

i never saw any parameters that would change the ftp mode to append instead of replace.... instead i wrote a simple little utility to check %OUT%.dat for changes and log them in another file... i'v also noticed an %IN%.dat file there sometimes but can't figure out what causes it

thats from my 31i control though, is anyone able to DPRNT through FTP with an 18i control?!?!? into a file like %out%.dat?

for me, DPRNT, with I/O channel set to 9 for embedded ethernet, does nothing

thanks
    - gwarble

also, regarding the pure fanuc mode of the mori MSG-501 (really a fanuc 18i) that i originally posted about... everything works fine in fanuc mode so far except i can't "origin" my relative positions!?! weird, but the "position" screen shows the program still and has no input or +input softkeys i can find...

to clarify that last "ps:"

in the fanuc mode, outside of MAPPS (mori seiki), the "position" hard key doesn't work at all... may need to be re-instated via params but it doesn't pull up the position screen as it should...

big downfall for my hope of running in pure fanuc mode...

on the plus side... no crazy formatting is necessary.... memory card on the lcd panel shows up as "E:" drive and i'm able to XCopy everything from the main hdd "c:" to the memory card... so editing "startup.cmd" would be no biggie to call "sample" instead of "c2tf"

- gwarble

is anyone else out there doing this or have a NH5000 or similar with an MSG-501?

first of all, creating two simple files F.cmd and M.cmd are a good start to save yourself keystrokes... F calling "sample" and M calling cam2tf, (for fanuc and mori) copy from a memory card (e to the gop3 directory)

REMAINING ISSUES:
    POS (position) key still not working in pure fanuc mode... don't know how Mori overrides it but i can't use it... pressing the "network" key, which in MAPPS does nothing, brings the yellow button list up, and a japanese error message... and then pressing POS will revert back to the position screen... but something about the mori ladder i think is controlling at least the CAPS and NETWORK buttons...

after switching the fanuc side to VGA mode and enabling the colors to match the current fanuc scheme, most everything else is working flawlessly, including DNC, ethernet, DNC from flash card, etc... just like any normal old fanuc 18i...

but, the offset screen (which has 16rowsX4columns) takes forever to refresh, as in like a full four and a half seconds... i know sounds silly to care but when you stand in front of these machines you expect keystrokes to invoke imediate action and i cringe when i see it refresh like that

any ideas??? any fanuc parameters to ENABLE/DISABLE the POS key altogether?

thanks again everyone
    - gwarble

EDIT: also, batch(cmd) files, or any, can easily be copied to and from the memory card in the front PCMCIA slot via the command prompt... the crazy formatting you're talking about is probably to re-image the internal booting drive on the mapps PC itself... and making it bootable...

also as a side note to people using these machines... the optr panel's rs232 port is direct to the mapps pc... which is somehow living on top of fanuc's access to the screen... so any NC access to the serial port has to be done thru the second rs232 port inside the electrical cabinet (better spot in my opinion), such as DPRNT commands and DNC'ing via Remote/Tape mode...

ok with vga mode turned back off in the pure fanuc side the offset screen refreshes immediately, as expected...

so the position key not working is the last problem to address... i'm going to post a new thread with an appropriate title to ask for help...

i cant find any fanuc params to enable/disable the position key, and nothing in the mapps/"sample.exe" thats bypassing it, although i don't have a complete caps param list

if i can get the position key working as expected i'll switch this to boot directly to fanuc and bypass mapps altogether... with a good cam system, there is no need for conversational programming on the control... so the fanuc gui is universal to all mfg machines (and we have many)
    -gwarble

ok, so the method for escaping the fanuc "viewer" sample.exe is [network] which brings up the yellow command menu again, then an error message, [input] to clear the message... then:

0 - closes samples and returns to the command prompt

1 - brings up a settings dialog, allowing remap of the mdi buttons (pos, prog, offset, custom/caps, system, msg, aux/graph, and custom2/network via number key...

so with the position key not working (which i now think is a problem with sample.exe... does anyone have a newer version they would be able to email me??) at least i'm able to map the custom/caps button to "pos"(232) and the graph/aux button to "caps/settings" (normal custom...)

anyway, if anyone is trying this i can go into further detail... but for now, its working...

i have my position key on the right instead of the left, but other than that i'm booting directly into fanuc side, totally usable...then i exit fanuc side to a batch menu for fanuc, mapps, or command prompt

interestingly, the settings page described above allows you to remap the drive that fanuc recognizes as the "memory card" (i/o chan 4) from e:\ (the lcd mounted pcmcia port) to the d:\ drive (a second partition on the hard drive... so you can use chan 4 as normal with it accessing the mapps flash hdd instead of the card slot... and with the os/2 computer on the netwrok, if i can figure out setting it up as an ftp server i can pus files to the machine itself, and then dnc them or transfer them from the fake "memory card" directly in the fanuc side... kind of a data server of sorts...

if i can get ftp working i'll see what happens if i overwrite a file that is being dnc'ed, could be disastrous

anyway, i'm happy to say now this machine is functioning as a pure fanuc 18i-mb to the operator, which, besides adding network and dnc abilities, makes training operators (and daily use for me and others in the shop) simpler

i'll probably be writing up documentation on the switchover, everything thats required, the simple batch files, and whats required to switch it back, for our own shop's documentation purposes, but if anyone's interested let me know

- gwarble