587,201 active members*
3,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Think I've spent too much

Well, where should I start. I got the "bug" about a year ago when I built the Jgro. Koodos to Jgro for supplying a heck of a build. But like most fantics, I had to go further.

I purchased from a couple of sources, 1 thomson 9" superslide for a Z axis, 1 30" Thomson Superslide for the Y axis, and numerous components for the x makeup.

The mistake I think I made was that I purchased 2 supported slides off of E-bay without the bearings. BIG MISTAKE. I waited for at least 7 months for a deal on open 3/4" bearings with pillow blocks to no avail.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I finally got tired of waiting, and in an anticipated state, spent $300 on 4 open bearings to complete the set.

Should I have waited? or have I jumped the gun? I have so much into Router #2 so far that maybe I'm jumping over dollars, but that's for the forum to say.

why worry? be happy!

1. You can't take it with you!

2. You have to speculate to accumulate!

3. You just bought $300 worth of something really worthwhile.

4. I bet you sit there just looking at them with a grin on your face.

There are many adages that fit the situation.

What doesn't kill you make you stronger.
    If you do nothing you won't make mistakes.
    etc. etc.

Just don't tell the wife/girlfriend you blew it and keep going.
    Paul

I know what you mean Wbeg. I bought a 3 axis driver and 116 oz steppers for $200. Now I think I should have bought 4 axis 200 oz steppers. Still I can always resell them and the boss is paying most of the costs anyway. (nuts)

bigz1

so, the blocks were $300 new for 4.. thats not bad actually.. you didnt say how long the rails were, but its probable that they cost far more new. if you are using this machine to make $$, it is worth some $$ to ensure proper operation.

also, you didnt really tell us what you spent..

i just spent $250 on ballscrews.. to add to the roughly $500 of parts ive allready accumilated, with another $1,100ish to go...

is this too much? well, for a ball screw and THK linear component 48x40x10 cnc router, i think ~$2,000 this will cost is really too little... considering... of course, ive gotten some parts from scrounging, and may still have to spring $600 more for motor drivers...

it is all relative...

Wink

WOW $2000 guess am just a cheapskate. Got these THK 220mm linear rails for £40 today. I also live next door to a nurse who tells me their is a ward full of condemed hospital beds. Hopefully these will contain some ballsrews that will be of use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails e6_1_b.JPG  

condemed hospital beds..

creepy!~

They probably have Acme screws in them with plastic nuts.
    If it's not nailed down, it's mine.
    If I can pry it loose, it's not nailed down.

Maybe...maybe not. A local salvage place has some hospital beds that have been removed from service. They have ball screws and nuts (rolled) which look pretty decent.

Might be a good find, for you.

-- Chuck Knight

do those beds come with nurses?

See if you can find some used lab equipment. Sometimes there are some real interesting things to be found inside them ie: steppers, drivers, THK style rails and trucks....... Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by wbegg

The mistake I think I made was that I purchased 2 supported slides off of E-bay without the bearings. BIG MISTAKE. I waited for at least 7 months for a deal on open 3/4" bearings with pillow blocks to no avail.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I finally got tired of waiting, and in an anticipated state, spent $300 on 4 open bearings to complete the set.

heh! Check Ebay today.....you will probably find just what you wanted!...after the fact. Happened to me a couple of times....

Ebay tends to go in cycles, when you don't need it there will be hundreds of them and when you do need it there will be none or few of them.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by posix
    do those beds come with nurses?
    I will ask HIM!!!

Good suggestion on the lab equipement. So if you see radioactive linear bearings, blood spattered ballscrews going cheap on ebay you know who's selling them.