588,121 active members*
4,906 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: carbon fiber

carbon fiber

Anybody out there ever built, tried to build, or seen a machine built of carbon fiber? Wonder if it would work? Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days (yeah right, like I don't already have enough to do!). Just curious. I think if it were built stout enough, with the correct kind of lamination technique and engineering it may work well. It'd certainly look slick!

Hey Hobbiest,
    You took the thoughts right out of my head. I have begun to work with carbon fiber on a limited basis and I agree that at least for the basic frame structure it would be unbelievablely stiff if done correctly. I make a carbon fiber/balsa gunstock that weighs in at a heafty 20 oz that you can't twist or bend with your hands.

If you decide to do one le me know as I have some contacts that might be of interest to you.
    Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.

Can anyone say "Mucho denero"(sp?)....$$$$$$$$$$

Ah...mucho enginuity (I always mispell it like that...must be the hot rodder in me!). I know that the cloth is definately more expensive than fiberglass, but still cheaper than new ally! As if anyone REALLY buys aluminum new! I think that I may set the thought on the burner for a while. With a foam core, it would probably deaden most accustics from the drive, and spindle (vibratory at least). And they make bicycles and shuttle parts out of the stuff (I know...I know, lots of other structural stuff too.) Hey...why not cut the EPS core on a hotwire CNC? At the very least, make the mold on CNC router, maybe with some neat carving and s... it could be really trick!
    Stop talking about it and do it already!!!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)