586,108 active members*
3,084 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 8 of 9 6789
    Yes, i have this issue, just barely with the old style, but the new style has more and makes my new machine shake somewhat, you can read about it in my new 4x4 machine. Dereck is working on the issue now.

Joe

Its more of a issue with the spindle I would think. If you could regrind the spindle taper true then it would be possable to make something like this work. Bu then you half to have accurate made collets. But store bought routers are just not made to have bits in them that extend out 2-3" from the collet nut.

Working on building a tool changer a couple of questions I have:

1 - In the M6Start.m1s code I see the code to turn cutter length compensation on with:
    Code "G43 H" & NewTool ' Set cutter compensation on for new tool
    but I don't see anything turning it off when you come into the tool change process. I would think you would want if off as you always want the change to occur at the same location and compensation would alter this for each tool (assuming you enter something different than 0 for tool length compensation).
    Am I missing something as to why others have not used G49 to Turn it off? Or should this be added to the code?

2 - the brushes for the floating dust collector, what diameter bristles are people finding work well? Trying to figure out what is stiff enough to keep it up and yet soft enough to move nicely around things. I am assuming the brush material is nylon as well.

Thanks for your help.

old style collet close out?

Hi,
    I went to the http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/index.htm and saw that there are only two sizes of the old style collets available (3/16 and 1/2).
    What is happening? I wanted to order more 1/4 collets for the ATC that I am slowly working on. Are these being phased out? Can they be special ordered? A year ago I got the quick change unit with an assortment (5, one of each) of the old style collets. Since I use mostly 1/4 shank tools, this presents a problem.

Any answers to this?

Thanks,
    John

The Quickchange unit is the same you can use the new holders in your unit, with the dempels at the top it is a better design.

You can always e-mail Derek and he will help you he is a very good guy to deal with, he will tell you straightup with all his products.

Joe

Thanks Joe,
    I'll see what Derek can do for me. I can't really afford to get the newer ER collet system..and the added extension is too much for my use. Hope he can still supply the older styles.

Thanks again,
    John

CAN I GET MORE INFO AND DRAWINGS ON THE MAKING OF YOUR SPINDLE AND TOOL CHANGER
    [email protected]

Spindle is a var. speed router, Hitachi. And the tool changer is made by hightechsystems llc

http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/

Great Work!

A friend and I are planning on building the Joe! We have a professional grade CNC available, so all parts will be able to be cut out....but considering all the parts are cut on the CNC, what would you say the difficulty is of this build?

Thanks,
    Spencer

Putting it together?

Well, say all the parts have been made perfectly..... How difficult is it to assmble it, attach the motors, insure that it is square/level, etc.?

And did you run in to any problems?

It's not hard. Put it this way, I knew nothing of CNC routers when I embarked on joe's 06 model. You learn as you go; other than that it's pretty easy. There is a wealth, a complete wealth of info here at the zone in joe's dedicated forum on how to build this machine. A few dozen people here have build logs, filled with photos and info. If you sit down, plan, order the right parts and follow the steps correctly you will have a solid DIY machine. It only requires basic woodworking and metalworking skills. I think the hardest thing on the machine if anything is milling the bearing angle slides and gluing the torsion boxes together.

how much did the rapid changer cost ??? I went to the wbe site and under price it just says --''out of stock''

Quote Originally Posted by amen23 View Post
    how much did the rapid changer cost ??? I went to the wbe site and under price it just says --''out of stock''
    He ran out of stock and money to produce more of the ATCs. I paid $185.90 for the tool changer and 5 holders.

he is going to be restocking ?????? selling more ??

You'll have to go to his web site and ask him. I have no idea.

Iam trying to contact High Tech Systems, but the site is moved, May somebody help me about to buy the ATC?
    Thanks, Rene
    --------------
    Excuseme, my bad english, I hope that you understand

http://hightechsystemsllc.com/pt_rapid_changer.html

He's restocking right now. Mines collecting dust because its only rated at 10,000RPM

Quote Originally Posted by bp092 View Post
    http://hightechsystemsllc.com/pt_rapid_changer.html

He's restocking right now. Mines collecting dust because its only rated at 10,000RPM
    Mine is collecting dust because I don't have a CNC machine to attach it to. I have read where people have run them up to 20K RPM. He is using a higher strength spring now.

http://www.hightechsystemsllc.com/ will get you to the main page.

Mine is collecting dust because of all the issues I had with it :0 as well as 10K was to slow for some work, and the noise levels are much lower without in on. Thinking about selling it and the adaptors.

Page 8 of 9 6789