588,293 active members*
4,360 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Deciding between Epilog Mini18 and Universal VLS3.50

Hi, I am new to CNC laser cutting and engraving. I work for a High School and we are building a Fabrication Lab. I am deciding between purchasing a new Epilog Mini18 or a new Universal VLS 3.50, both 40W. The equipment will be used mostly by HS students who will do projects that involve cutting wood and acrylic, and engraving wood, acrylic, ceramics, and glass.

I am getting quotes for about the same price for both equipments, but given that the Mini18 is 18"x12" and VLS3.50 is 24"x18", should I go with the VLS3.50.

Thank for you help,
    Alex

I'll say that 18x24" is a MUCH better size ! Lot of project I find are all based on 23", so 24" is perfect for most job.

I'll get an fslaser one in about 2 week. A lot less expensive (3500$) for 20x12" size. But it have a removable floor to laser cut bigger size object, so that a big plus.

Now since it for a school environment, I would still go with the 2 model you mentioned if multiple people will operate the machine.

High end model have auto focus system, so they don't have to touch the focus lens manually like the FSlaser one. Also, the higher end one have more safety feature for the cooling system for example and automation to the starting of the fans system and air compressor.

So I think you should focus on the maintenance, safety, software operation of these machine too.

I'll be the only user of my machine, so I'll know I have to start the water pump, checking for bubble and making sure the watter flow is active. However, I'll probably create a few home made water flow sensor with automatic shutdown system. But for you, since it a school, you have to rely on external business to support your need (You can save money if you can do it yourself, but always think who will operate it once your gone)

Hurricane21 Guest

Hurricane Lasers

Alex,

I would like for you to consider HurricaneLasers.com for you school and lab. We have quite a few schools that are in the Project Lead the Way program that have our lasers. With our pricing they are able to get an 80W 40x24 with two rotary attachments extra lenses etc for less than either of the other models you mentioned. PM me and I can send you the contact information for teachers that have our machines. These include high schools as well as several major universities such as Auburn, Renselaer Polytechnic Institite, Princeton and Oregon Techinical Institute.

You can also check out our Kickstarter that launched today at Making Lasers Easier to Use and Affordable for Everyone by john Kaspar — Kickstarter

as always we also take purchase orders for schools.

Thank you and I look forward to working with you and the kids.

John