588,212 active members*
4,488 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Mazak lathe vs Daewoo

I'm looking for some advise on purchasing a used 2004 puma 2500sy lathe.
    I currently own two mazak integrex mill turn machines, and so far i have been fairly pleased with them. We are now looking to upgrade our current standard lathe area with some newer equipment. Due to budget constriants i have been forced to look on the used market. I came across a 2004 puma 2500sy in very good condition....but I have no experince with daewoo. Any advise would be helpful!!!

I have a two axis 220a Lynx 2006
    Love it
    Fast, accurate, strong . Works 16 hours a day

We operate 24/7 so that's good news! The owner of our company is concerned with Daewoo's commodity type product reputation. The mazak's that we currently own have had there set of issues. We do run a tight maintenance schedule Daily, weekly, monthly, Bi-annual, and annual so as long as the componets of the machine are up to the task we should be happy with daewoo. Have you heard of any ball screw issues?
    Thank you for the input!!!

No I have not heard of any ballscrew issues.

i have two puma250 bought new in 1999. still work with .0004".
    done some work up to 17" dia. very happy with them

The company I work for has many Daewoo Turn/mill type machines:

TT2500SY
    2500SY
    2500LY
    2000LY

And the only trouble we have is usually the operator. The machines are very stable even under 24-5 with and occasional saturday...
    ~Tony~

Any word on the 240msb model ? I'm trying to save a little money by not purchasing the Y axis. It would save me around $30,000. The 2500sy series comes with the integral spindle. What advantage does the integral spindle provide?

The problem with the 240MSB model is they are belt driven, where the 2500SY is direct drive...

The Acceleration/Deceleration is much quicker with Direct Drive... it could save 30seconds or more, depending on you spindle direct and rpm changes

You will you the -Y- more than you think...

If you plan on making parts with "On Center" (X-Axis work) Keyways there is no way to adjust them... unless you have a -Y- axis...
    ~Tony~

We own 2 2500's, one LSY an one SY. Very happy with them. We are looking at a new 2000 SY, We have a dealer for other equipment who sells Mazak. He is quoting a Integrex. Have been thinking about switching, but the Daewoo's have really been good machines for us. Plus the tooling issues, the 1500, 2000, and 2500 all have the BMT 55 turrets and we can share tooling between the lathes.

Has anybody used both machines, Mazak Integrex and Daewoo SY (main and sub spindles, full C on both spindles, and Y axis) and could give an objective comparison

Side note: Was introduced at the IMTS show to a tooling company called MD Tool. Great tooling (live and static) for the BMT turrets. Best 1.5" holder we have used, much better than standard Daewoo issue. Real nice quad holders for 3/4" diameter tools and 1" turning tools. Good live tools, but not as strong as Eppinger, we drill and tap with MD but mill with the Eppies. Plus the MD Z live tools will not reach center line on the subspindle. The MD live tools including the double Z, are considerably less dollars than the Eppies. They also have the greatest cutoff tool holder we have found
    http://www.mdtooling.com/

240 Msb

We Have A 2006 240msb Runs Lights Out And Try To Run Weekends

Good Machine

Bad Dog

Well it's done!!! Just purchased a Daewoo 240MSB! We got a very good price, and a extensive warranty. The machine will arrive in 3 weeks. I will send an update as we set the machine into production. In two weeks we are going to daewoo to test out their integrex style machine I will try to update or add a new thread when we have a general opinion of Daewoo's mill/turn machine.

Congrads on the new machine!!!!

The Integrex type? The MX or the TT?

I want the company I work for to purchase a MX2500LST but upper managment wants to hold off for right now...

I love the 40-tool capability... commonality of tools is the key there...

Can you imagine all the most popular jobs you have, to run by just changing a program and a set of jaws? that would be great...
    ~Tony~

We would be looking at the MX style machine. I can tell you from experince that the 40 tools is a must!!! We have standard tools set in our integrex machines on average we have two tools per job to change out verses 10-20. If your company is looking to save money having set standard's will definatly get you on your way.

You guys probably have now idea that you have been speaking with a SuperStar of the maching world. (Steely) He learned under the self proclaimed worlds greatest machinist and I swear today I saw him walk across a puddle in the parking lot without getting the bottom of his shoes wet!

You don't believe me check out his mug in theis modern machinst link....he's a straight up pimp! LMAO!

http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/0207bp2.html

SUPERSTAR!

:rainfro: :stickpoke :cheers: :cheers: (flame2)

XOXOX,

Doom

Doom's Self portrait of greatness!!!

The Real SUPERSTAR!!!!!!!

The signature say's it all...........

Shawn Downing
    Outer Circle Czar
    Group B Leader
    Mazak Programmer Extraordinaire
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sd.bmp  

WHAT DID YOUR MACHINE COST AND WHAT IS THE WARRENTY PERIOD

WE BOUGHT AN MSB 240 WITH CONVEYOR, LIVE TOOLING, ETC SMW SPACESAVER 2200 DELIVERED IN JUNE. FANUC 18i-TB CONTROL

BAD DOG

Quote Originally Posted by Steelydan View Post
    Well it's done!!! Just purchased a Daewoo 240MSB! We got a very good price, and a extensive warranty. The machine will arrive in 3 weeks. I will send an update as we set the machine into production. In two weeks we are going to daewoo to test out their integrex style machine I will try to update or add a new thread when we have a general opinion of Daewoo's mill/turn machine.
    Let us know about the how it goes on the multy,
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Bad dog-

The machine price was $120,000 out the door with live tooling, and a few bell's and whistles. After adding some additional options like collet chucks, High pressure coolant, bar feed interface, Transformer, Conveyor, and a few others, we ended up at $139,000
    We got a two year full warranty with the machine. What did you pay?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelydan View Post
    Bad dog-

The machine price was $120,000 out the door with live tooling, and a few bell's and whistles. After adding some additional options like collet chucks, High pressure coolant, bar feed interface, Transformer, Conveyor, and a few others, we ended up at $139,000
    We got a two year full warranty with the machine. What did you pay?
    Not a 240MSB, but I just got a price on a 240MB (live tools no sub spindle) for $123k, this has SWM spacesaver short bar feed, S26 collet chuck, and conveyor. I'm also looking at a similarly equipped Mazak 250M for $150k. I feel like the Puma is a nice machine for the $. However, it has a few shortcomings, drag along tailstock and the salesman said the conversational programming is not good at all on the Puma.

Can anybody comment on the quality/readability of the manuals for the Puma?

I have never used a Daewoo with conv. programing so i cant say anything about that but the manuls , well its just like anything else when you have bee looking at then for years they are pretty easy to understand if not may be a bit more dificult im sure the mazak would be the same way
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Page 1 of 2 12