588,574 active members*
12,721 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

TL-2 Steady rest

Anyone have a picture of one I can look at? Don't have one on mine.

I will try to post a picture tomorrow morning.

I'm in the process of building one now. It's going to be able to accomodate up to 10" diameter material. I'll make sure that I post some photo's of it when it's completed. I'm making it out of 6061, few little stainless parts and some brass and bronze. Will be some bearing rollers and what not. I'm also making it so I make it usable for smaller material also. Basically by changing one piece. Being limited to size constraints This will be a sick little addition to my TL

ok here's what it's going to look like. Just a few more bits and pieces to finish up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Image.jpg  

Well done dude! Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by rbest27 View Post
    ok here's what it's going to look like. Just a few more bits and pieces to finish up
    That looks very nice.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Boy, that is something to be proud of. That's a nice looking piece of tooling. Are you confident that the aluminum is stiff enough to do the job for you? Even if it's not as strong as the Haas supplied one, I'll bet yours is more versatile (size).
    Greg

Yeah the aluminum I'm using is 2" thick. The part I'm going to spin is 9" round tube with 3/4" wall. I don't plan on running it at a 1000 rpm or anything, although that might be fun, it's probably not the safest. Once the i.d. is turned I'm going to use bungs on the end and turn the length of the tube. I just finished the top half yesterday. I have to finish the lower main of the body. The rollers are done, I also need to finish the adjustment screws. Should all be done by the end of the week. I do have to remove the drip pan on the carriage for clearance though. Not a big deal IMO. I'll make sure you all get a look at all the components when I'm finished

Ok finally finished with the entire assembly of the steady rest. I'm not at work today so I'll get some finished photo's up tomorrow. Took a bit of work to get at all the angles but doable.

ok done...camera phone photo, with the morning sun glare
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails done.jpg  

Talking

Most impressive I cheated and bought mine but then Im not a clever D..K well done cheers Peter