587,490 active members*
6,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hybrid View

Yeah, this was a cool thread.

Vince, do you still have the lathe and is it working well for you?

Best,

BW
    Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
    http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Quote Originally Posted by BobWarfield View Post
    Yeah, this was a cool thread.

Vince, do you still have the lathe and is it working well for you?

Best,

BW
    Thanks for the kind words. I still have a lot I want to do, but at least I can use the lathe now.

Vince

N4NV-

I tried to PM you, but it bounced. said something about storage space full....

Anyway, mabie you will see this-

I sent you a PM on youtube a few hours ago. Then I found this thread and reckognised the blue paint...

I would love it if you could give me your email addy so I can pick your brain.

In particular, I am very interested in-

Cubloc PN.
    Hall effect sensor PN's and source
    Resistor wattage and values (for between the Hall effect sensors)
    CAD drawing that you used for the turret encoder base plate.
    Copies of the functional Brains/ladders/scripts

I would love to duplicate your turret encoder and how you make it work with mach and the cubloc.

I am already running Mach3 and a Smooth Stepper with a C11 (IIRC) BOB.

I would be happy to pay for your time, trade something, whatever. I love my CHNC, but not having the tool turret functional is driving me nuts.

Hope to hear back from you...

Best,
    Nate.
    [email protected]
    Nate.
    Ann Arbor Meechigan

Red face Wow!

Wow, I must say vince, I just spent the last 5 hours reading through this entire thread. You sir are a gentleman!

There were so many questions that I had when I first bought my 2 CHNC-2 lathes on thursday, i pick them up tuesday! And because of your detailed intructions and explanations, my conversions will go fairly quick (im thinking 2-3 weeks). I will be working on them 12 hours a day 5 days a week. But I don't think I will completely strip mine as you did, mine were takin out of a job shop, one has a fanuc, and the other doesnt have the controller. They are both in pretty good shape, one is complete and the drive went out, the other is kinda in pieces . But the complete one has a parts shute, which will be awesome to integrate.

After reading your thread, I have decided to just mount a digital microstepping stepper on the turret instead of the air motor. It seems to me that you and many others had to much issues with it. I did read read on another persons post that they could not get the stepper motor to work well with the turret because of the degree error. I don't think he was microstepping the motor, he had mentioned that he was getting 1.5 degree positional error, which is really high if he was microstepping.

I understand that tool changes won't be fast, but they should work. And they should be very accurate especially when I microstep them.

I know there is not a lot of room in the carriage for the stepper motor, so I will be modifing the mounts and extrending the shaft with the worm gear to get the desired movement and clearance.

For the x and z, I will have keling servos on them, I absolutely love the job u did on modifying the existing resolvers on the ball screw to give great feedback. I have 1000 ppr encoders that I will be adding on.

I will add to your thread by showing my conversion with pics and videos as well!

Thank you so much VINCE!!!!

Mike

Re: Hardinge CHNC conversion

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    N4NV-

I tried to PM you, but it bounced. said something about storage space full....

Anyway, mabie you will see this-

I sent you a PM on youtube a few hours ago. Then I found this thread and reckognised the blue paint...

I would love it if you could give me your email addy so I can pick your brain.

In particular, I am very interested in-

Cubloc PN.
    Hall effect sensor PN's and source
    Resistor wattage and values (for between the Hall effect sensors)
    CAD drawing that you used for the turret encoder base plate.
    Copies of the functional Brains/ladders/scripts

I would love to duplicate your turret encoder and how you make it work with mach and the cubloc.

I am already running Mach3 and a Smooth Stepper with a C11 (IIRC) BOB.

I would be happy to pay for your time, trade something, whatever. I love my CHNC, but not having the tool turret functional is driving me nuts.

Hope to hear back from you...

Best,
    Nate.
    [email protected]
    Hi Nate. Did you ever end up with any info for your issues? I have a bad CHNC2 encoder that I'm trying to solve too.