587,933 active members*
4,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: HP Plotter

HP Plotter

Hi, I am new to the group, I now live in the Nature Coast of Fla. I just came into possession of a HP Draft Master RX, I am a pen turner, and would like to know if anyone has had any luck or ideas of using a Dremmel in place of the Ink Pens. If so I could use all the help I could get.
    Thanks
    Dave

Hi DJZ9,

Short answer "No". The solenoid used to raise and lower the pen does not have enough power to lift anywhere near the weight of a Dremel or I suspect a flexishaft attachment.
    A second limitation, if I am not mistaken your plotter has a vacuum system that sucks the paper down into a slightly recessed channel running the width of the plotter, meaning you would only be able to ( machine ) a flexable medium that will conform to this "channel". Meaning you could not "machine" a flat rigid surface.
    Having said that I suggest with a lot of modification and inginuity you could modify this model to be a very good "plotter machine" as these units are surprisingly very accurate and if the same plot is printed twice ( without removing the paper ) has an acceptable
    repeability with regards to image registration.
    Bottom line....It all depends on how much time and resources you have and are willing to devote to this project. Hope this helps.
    Dave

Just drifted in...

XYZADAVE:
    Maybe/Would the solenoid have enough force (grunt) to lift the "extended" probe-like dingus (other words escape me now) pen-sized cutter? Might be an alternative option to mounting the entire Dremel. The main motor could be hung overhead - and milling pens would be fairly small footprint.

Best of Luck :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.