587,112 active members*
3,126 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cutter compensation????

Finally back on-line. I have a question for the cutter compensation. Here's the deal:

- Small, single man shop (ME). So I try not to get too far out of my comfort zone as to not have machine down time or expense of repair IF I get into a problem.

- So, as for "qualifying" tools, there usually "undefined" on the contriller so I can put anything anywhere.

Here the problem. Say I was to program T5 as a 1/2 endmill, and it runs fine. NOW I want to run that same program again, BUT only have a regrind (.480) in stock, how would I go about using the and programming the cutter compensation in both the controller and program???

Thanks for any help, John

You'll need to use G41 and G42 in your program with lead-ins and lead-outs before and after the cuts.

Preferrably climb milling with compensaton will save you alot of headaches. Designate the offset in tool table, according to the tool being used in the spindle. Some machines rely on dia. some on radius for the offset.

You program for a full size tool. This being a 1/2 in. In your tool bank you should have a DIA. setting. Here you may have to put a -.020 or just put the .480 . Controls work differently so you have to be sure to make the right setting. Did you get a Manual with this machine?

Guys thanks, so if I get this right, I would use the G41 or G42 to turn ON the CDC (Cutter Diameter Compensation) and use G40 to turn OFF the CDC.

I did get the manuals with the machine, and the help with the "G" codes has let me find the proper part of the manual to look at! When I was looking up CDC, there wasn't much to go on in both the operators or Programming manual. BUT when I looked up the G41/42/40 codes, they even gave a nice little diagram and tutorial on the subject.

I also says that my cutter would be a -.020 in the cutter offset.

"A positive (+) offset value indicates an oversize cutter, a minus (-) offset value an undersize cutter"

Thanks, John

Sounds like you got it figured out.

If this is an A2100 control, it isn't necessary to put the exact size of the tool in the "Diameter" field of the tool list. If you're program is for a 1/2" endmill, and you are using a 0.480" you will still need to put -0.020" in the "Diameter Offset" field to achieve your correct size.

Laka, it is a A2100 controller. Now just need to play with some programs:rainfro: