588,400 active members*
4,894 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > GREX - Are Servos still better then Steppers?

GREX - Are Servos still better then Steppers?

I have a benchtop Mill X3 that I converted to CNC with G320's and servo motors, A couple of years ago, everyone stated that servos were the way to go. Now I have an RF45 clone that I want to convert. With the release of the GREX are servo's still the way to go or should I be looking at steppers now?

Thanks!
    BOb

Go here for a "give-n-take" treatise on the subject:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17419

Hint: ALL the high end equipment I"ve ever seen uses servos.

Use the best and you won't be disappointed....

Servos are the way to go.

While I like steppers quite a bit I have converted all of my machines including a mill/drill similar to the RF45 to servo. Servos are smoother, quiter and don't suffer from lost steps and resonance. I have talked with Mariss and Art about Mach4 and the Grex encoder feed back for steppers. They have indicated it would be quite some time until they were ready. Geckomotion uses it own form of control files not similar to G code. Mach4 will handle the G code but right now it wouldn't handle the encoder feed back as used in a servo system.
    Right now the G320 servo amps along with some servo motors I sell (shameless plug) with a 3/1 ratio timing belt would give your machine excellent performance. See www.camtronics-cnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bird_E
    I have a benchtop Mill X3 that I converted to CNC with G320's and servo motors, A couple of years ago, everyone stated that servos were the way to go. Now I have an RF45 clone that I want to convert. With the release of the GREX are servo's still the way to go or should I be looking at steppers now?

Thanks!
    BOb
    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc
    [email protected]
    www.seanet.com/~dmauch

Hi Dan,

Email sent.

Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.