588,490 active members*
4,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Need help setting offsets

Hey everyone!

We recently got a new TM2P at work, and I need help setting the tool and work offsets.

I want to set all the tools to a height gauge block on the table.

Here are the steps I was using (going from memory not having the machine in front of me)

setting 64 (I think, use tool offset something)- off

1) touch off tools to height block (take the gauge block into account)
    2) touch position sensor to top of table
    3) set origin on z
    4) touch position sensor to top of work piece
    5) input the measured height into the G54 Z offset.

Now when I do this the machine says Z travel alarm and the G54 Z uses the machine position to reach the value previously input. Ex. if I measure 4 inches from table to top of work, the machine tries to use the absolute Z 4, which is over above the tool changer, not 4 inches above the table.

I have searched all over here and other websites that all show similar steps to do this, but I can't find any fix for this problem.

Thanks for the help!
    Chris

Edit: The tool offsets are also in the machine coordinate system (ex tool tip 2 inches above height gauge, press measure tool offset and the machine inputs the absolute Z value of say -10 inches)

2008 Haas VF2D
    OneCNC XR5 Mill Expert

I read through the post and still having the same problem after following those steps.

If type in the offset for G54 Z0 the machine uses the absolute position of the Z axis. Example, if I input 4.o for my G54 Z0 the machine doesn't travel to 4" above the table. It travels to 4 inches above the tool changer.

Same thing applies for the tool offsets. If use the measure tool offset button it puts the absolute value of the Z axis into the machine.

Then when I try to run a program is says Z over travel alarm.

Are you using the G43 to call up the height offset for each tool?

Quote Originally Posted by wiggles6983 View Post

3) set origin on z
    What you are doing seems similar to the way I sometimes enter offsets but there are differences and I am a bit puzzled.

You 'touch off tools to height block' which suggests you take the tool down until it is touching the height block and then press Tool Ofset Mesur.

Is this what you do?

What do you mean by 'take the gauge block into account'?

Why do you touch the position senor to the top of the table if you have already touched off to the top of the gauge block?

You 'set origin on z'.

What is this value?

Then you 'touch position sensor to top of work piece' and 'input the measured height into the G54 Z offset'.

As far as I can see you have entered the total distance from the table to the top of the workpiece into the G54 Z offset.

And you have entered the Z position to the top of the gauge block into the tool offset.

It seems to me what should be entered into the G54 Z offset is the difference in height between the top of the gauge block and the top of the work in this manner: (Star with zero in the G54 Z offset)

Touch off tools to gauge block and enter the tool offsets using Tool Ofset Mesur.

Using a gauge mounted in the spindle:

First, find the Z position of the top of the gauge block at gauge zero.

Second, find the Z position of the top of the workpiece at gauge zero.

Enter the difference between these two Z positions into the G54 Z offset.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Your post leads me to believe you have absolutely no experience setting offsets on any CNC machine. When your company bought the machine and it was delivered and set up, standard practice is that the Haas dealer will provide about 1 day of training for employees. Did you participate in this training? Did the dealer refuse to offer any training? When you called your dealer and told them you were having difficulties, what did the dealer tell you?

Haas sent the guy to install them, but didn't cover any of the operations of the machines. And when calling the dealer it takes about 5 attempts to actually get some one on the phone.

Anyway, the problem was the code was missing the G43 command for some reason or other and after fixing that it works like it should.

And the only CNC experience any of us have is our plasma table, which is completely different.

We were following the steps listed above. Just at the time of writing the first post I didn't have the paper with the steps with me.

You might want to read this thread: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/haas_m...vice_haas.html

Haas sent the guy to install them, but didn't cover any of the operations of the machines. And when calling the dealer it takes about 5 attempts to actually get some one on the phone.

Anyway, the problem was the code was missing the G43 command for some reason or other and after fixing that it works like it should.

And the only CNC experience any of us have is our plasma table, which is completely different.

We were following the steps listed above. Just at the time of writing the first post I didn't have the paper with the steps with me.
    OH I dont feel all alone now. I'm in the same boat. :wee:

What does Haas main office tell you when you call them and complain about lack of service and training from your dealer?

Hey everyone!

We recently got a new TM2P at work, and I need help setting the tool and work offsets.

I want to set all the tools to a height gauge block on the table.

Here are the steps I was using (going from memory not having the machine in front of me)

setting 64 (I think, use tool offset something)- off

3) set origin on z

Now when I do this the machine says Z travel alarm and the G54 Z uses the machine position to reach the value previously input. Ex. if I measure 4 inches from table to top of work, the machine tries to use the absolute Z 4, which is over above the tool changer, not 4 inches above the table.

I have searched all over here and other websites that all show similar steps to do this, but I can't find any fix for this problem.

Thanks for the help!
    Chris

Edit: The tool offsets are also in the machine coordinate system (ex tool tip 2 inches above height gauge, press measure tool offset and the machine inputs the absolute Z value of say -10 inches)
    Chris I know this thread is a tad old, but could this also be the problem read ponds post from lukes link

Quote Originally Posted by Pondo View Post
    Make sure setting 64 is "OFF" if you are touching off tools anywhere except the part Z0 surface.
    If it is on, it will apply the G54 Z offset to the touchoff.
    You have it figured out correctly. You can touch off tools on any surface, then put the G54 Z offset as the distance from that surface to the Z0 surface of the part. + or - does not matter. The controller adds that # to the tool offset position to figure out where the tool tip is when running a program.