588,201 active members*
5,109 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Use knee to compensate for tool length changes

I want to know if there is a way to hook a stepper up the knee and use it for tool heights. Example say you go to use a drill that 6 inches long longer then your endmill. I want the table to move 6 inches negative z when the drill is called. Could you do this using a macro?

ME WANT THIS TOO.

Quote Originally Posted by Korellibopper View Post
    I want to know if there is a way to hook a stepper up the knee and use it for tool heights. Example say you go to use a drill that 6 inches long longer then your endmill. I want the table to move 6 inches negative z when the drill is called. Could you do this using a macro?
    Himmykabbible has been looking into doing this and apparently it will have to wait until Mach3 Rev. 4 comes out. In revision 4 it should be possible to send the tool offset to the C axis instead of the Z axis.

I of course have no idea on how to actually do it but I am in the process of putting a motor on the knee so I can be ready.

When I have the knee drive all set up, I intend to just go into the G-code and
    Input the values manually. If you know the difference in tool lengths, it should just be a matter of inputting a C (knee) move just after the tool change.
    If somebody else has a different take on this, please speak up.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Knee for Tool Offsets

This is a good idea, I'm interested in hearing more when this becomes available.

-Brian