587,691 active members*
3,588 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Looking for CNC 4x8 router reference design / plans

Looking for CNC 4x8 router reference design / plans

I'm looking for CNC 4x8 router reference design / plans / build log. I have nothing against wooden base or bolt together aluminium like Black toe or Joe's but it not what i'm looking for.

The best DIY solution I have seen so far for my need is Mechmate, but I am looking for alternative with lower bed, flush to table rail, different gantry. Thinking of something similar to Laguna tool or lighter like AXYZ or Larken 400.

Link are welcome !

Re: Looking for CNC 4x8 router reference design / plans

have you looked at the cncrouterparts?

I do

Light weight bolt together aluminum frame nothing like the industrial machine.

Again I have nothing against that type of machine, just not in same category.

I think you just answered your own question. If you have specific needs that other machines don't address, you're gonna have to design your own. Start by looking at other machine designs, copy what works for you, change what doesn't. In this day and age, you don't need plans when you have computer design software. Mitsumi for example ships a disc with all of their parts as 3D models. You can build a complete machine from their disc, but you can also get models from the other manufacturers. It's all part of the DIY process. If you are just looking for a kit, you are stuck with machines built for someone else's needs. Which, btw, what are you trying to cut?

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk 2

Mostly cabinet making, mdf, ply maybe some 3d carving of surf / SUP board blank.

I am not looking for a "kit". I was looking for some proven design like Gerald Mechmate but with lower bed and no riser on side for easy access to material. Something like Omni 1325 or dozen of commercial grade router on the market.

If someone wants to build a shopbot style, he can get Mechmate plan discuss with other builder, check reference picture, get advice -or- design it from scratch.

I was asking if something similar to Mechmate with low bed easy access, maybe vertical gantry rail that can extend table width to allow multiple head. Yes it is just rectangular tubing, but how to weld them square, how table is fixed to tubing, how to make rail straight. Drawing a machine in a CAD and building an real accurate machine a two different things.

That is why I was asking

I'm sure all of those questions can be answered by reading the posts here... also part of the DIY process

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk 2

I've never seen any plans for that type of machine. There was a thread started a few months ago of that basic style, where the builder welded the frame, then had it stress relieved and ground flat to mount the linear rails. He mounted them to the bottom.
    There are lots of variations for this style of machine, but the common denominator is that you typically need to have the welded frame stress relieved, and then have rail mounting surfaces machined flat and straight.
    An alternative to this is to pur self leveling epoxy mounting surfaces.
    Or do what was done for this machine.

MadVac CNC - home made 4'x8' cnc precision gantry router
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by digit23 View Post
    Mostly cabinet making, mdf, ply maybe some 3d carving of surf / SUP board blank.
    If you are looking to make a machine to handle sheet goods then I'd suggest a steel frame as the cheap route. You could go the Baltic birch or other high quality plywood route but I'm not convinced in the end that you will save money on the frame.
    I am not looking for a "kit". I was looking for some proven design like Gerald Mechmate but with lower bed and no riser on side for easy access to material. Something like Omni 1325 or dozen of commercial grade router on the market.
    The best I can suggest here is to search for router plans on Google.
    If someone wants to build a shopbot style, he can get Mechmate plan discuss with other builder, check reference picture, get advice -or- design it from scratch.

I was asking if something similar to Mechmate with low bed easy access, maybe vertical gantry rail that can extend table width to allow multiple head. Yes it is just rectangular tubing, but how to weld them square, how table is fixed to tubing, how to make rail straight. Drawing a machine in a CAD and building an real accurate machine a two different things.
    Here is the problem, most of the plans I've seen don't turn you into a machine tool builder. This is a skill that good plans can help with but if you can't square up an assembly then you already have problems. As for steel the simple answer to the welding problem is don't. There seems to be an almost automatic assumption that one needs to weld up a steel frame which is entirely bogus in my mind. Someplace beyond simple is the idea of welding up a frame in such a way that final alignment is not compromised. The more difficult (maybe) choice is to weld up a frame have it heat treated and machine the rail mounting surfaces afterward.
    That is why I was asking
    No mater what you take on, a machine made of wood, steel or what ever, you need a proper shop to pull off such a large machine. Either that or a friend with such a shop, a makers space or willing contractors in your area. For example you talk about a gantry beam large enough for two Z axises, not a bad idea but also requiring a suitably large gantry that is kept straight. You maybe talking a 6 foot long gantry to suitably support two heads as at a minimum you would want to be able to park a vertical axis at each end.

Excellent link!

I only have one problem with statements he made, that was implying that the use epoxy leveling compound is the only way to do a frame with a minimum of or no welding. Much can be accomplished with hand scraping steel directly. Yeah more work depending upon how big the machine is and the ultimate accuracy you are after. In general though the guy does a nice job.

you could always design a machine,then take it to a machine shop have them build it to your specs then finish it at the stage you want to tackle it at.I.e shop builds the frame and gantry,then you take over and pull rails and lead screws,wiring,bed etc on.not a cheap way but a way.or look at 80/20 products and assemble yourself.