587,787 active members*
3,044 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Newbie with questions

Hello,
    This is my first post on your forum, bare with me please.
    This looks like the appropriate place to start this thread, but if not, sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm brand new to CNC. I've purchased a MaxNC 10 machine, and waiting on its delivery.

My purpose for buying a CNC machine is to make aluminum molds for plastic injection molding small components. These components are for my slot car business. To start, I am making a new plastic chassis (1/32 scale). The chassis will basically consist of about 14 flat parts that when fitted together will form the frame of the chassis. These pieces will all be the same thickness, about 0.042"

My "plan" is to machine the cavities for the parts on one side of a two-part aluminum mold. Not all the pieces will fit on one block, so I know more mold blocks will be required.
    The mold blocks are about 6 7/8" w x 3" h x 2"d. The molds will be used on a benchtop air powered injection machine. The machine is designed for prototyping and short runs, so it is ideal for my immediate intentions. It has a 2.0 ounce shot, and a 15,000 lb clamp.

Additionally I plan to make other small components, such as driver's heads, torso's, cosmetic engines, mirrors, interior trays, guide flags, etc. For these items I purchased a 3-D digitizer along with the CNC machine.

So there you have an idea for my basic intensions for this MaxNC 10 machine.

Here's my questions:
    1. I understand that the MaxNC machine will include some software. Does anyone here have experience with this machine and it's software?

2. If this software is inadequate for what I'm attempting, can anyone make a suggestion for what would work better? (Keep in mind I'm on a tight budget)

There's more questions I have, but figure this is a good place to start. I appreciate any helpful comments you kind folks will have.
    Kind Regards,

Tim Johnson
    Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

I'm no expert but it seems to me that you should be OK for your molds for flat chassis parts providing they can be machined in 2D or possibly 2.5D. If you are going to use a digitiser then you will need a 3D CAM/CAM capability. This is expensive (more than the price of your machine) and I doubt it comes included. I tried to read up on the MaxNC 10 but it's unclear (to me) what the software capability is.

Good Luck
    Phil (chair)

Quote Originally Posted by SlideRule
    Hello,
    This is my first post on your forum, bare with me please.
    This looks like the appropriate place to start this thread, but if not, sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm brand new to CNC. I've purchased a MaxNC 10 machine, and waiting on its delivery.

My purpose for buying a CNC machine is to make aluminum molds for plastic injection molding small components. These components are for my slot car business. To start, I am making a new plastic chassis (1/32 scale). The chassis will basically consist of about 14 flat parts that when fitted together will form the frame of the chassis. These pieces will all be the same thickness, about 0.042"

My "plan" is to machine the cavities for the parts on one side of a two-part aluminum mold. Not all the pieces will fit on one block, so I know more mold blocks will be required.
    The mold blocks are about 6 7/8" w x 3" h x 2"d. The molds will be used on a benchtop air powered injection machine. The machine is designed for prototyping and short runs, so it is ideal for my immediate intentions. It has a 2.0 ounce shot, and a 15,000 lb clamp.

Additionally I plan to make other small components, such as driver's heads, torso's, cosmetic engines, mirrors, interior trays, guide flags, etc. For these items I purchased a 3-D digitizer along with the CNC machine.

So there you have an idea for my basic intensions for this MaxNC 10 machine.

Here's my questions:
    1. I understand that the MaxNC machine will include some software. Does anyone here have experience with this machine and it's software?

2. If this software is inadequate for what I'm attempting, can anyone make a suggestion for what would work better? (Keep in mind I'm on a tight budget)

There's more questions I have, but figure this is a good place to start. I appreciate any helpful comments you kind folks will have.

I can only respond to part of your question.
    I own a maxNC electronics and software that I fit onto my own mill.
    I have used maxNC DLX on occasion for a number of years.
    I have used it for 2.5 d machining succesfully and belive, but not sure that 3D is also OK.

I did not find it buggy ( one exception, see below).
    The user interface is not friendly but is sufficient, very limited features.
    My guess is seeing as you are new to CNC you will, in the end, be able to use MaxNC for the short term. Once you get more experienced in CNC in general, you should try and experiment with other software.

You will probably find something you like better and not go back to MaxNC software.

I never got my 4th axis to work propertly, it always went more in CW than CCW.

I have recenly switched to TurboCNC and am extremely happy with the interface and range of functions. I beleive the developers' will fix a known bug soon.

In short my advice is stick with max NC untill one of the following occurs:
    1 You find that it just is not capable of something that you absolutely cannot do without
    2. you get comfortable with the whole CNC thing and are ready to try something new ( that is what i did, but I maintain both programs installed and switch from one to another at will)

Thank you both for your responses, I appreciate your knowledgeable answers.

Cncuser1, can you tell me, does the software only run in Windows 98, or will I be able to use it in Windows XP? I think the MaxNC website says only Windows 98, but I'm hoping that's just dated information.

I haven't purchased the 4th axis (as yet), not sure that I need it at the moment.

I've been trying to research different CAD/CAM software applications the past few days, I'll have to take a look at TurboCNC. Thank you for the suggestion. Boy... somtimes I feel like I've opened Pandora's box. Everything is looking a little daunting, much, much to learn.
    Kind Regards,

Tim Johnson
    Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

I use MaxNC in Dos. I mean pure dos!

When I power up my PC I get the old style DOS screen ("C:\")
    My version of MAXNC ( and turboCNC and alot of other programs) cannot deal with windows because windows ( WIN98ME win98SE, winXP etc) do not give full control of the computer to programs when they run, so errors occur.

therefore Only DOS is acceptable to my version of MaxNC. Not even a DOS window started from within windows! only pure DOS.

Like alot of other subjects...do a search on it and learn.

Pandoras box...'dunno, but the learning process has just started, expect for it to continue, embrace it.

Have you looked here for software comparisons.

http://desktopcnc.com/soft_pg.htm

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by SlideRule
    I've been trying to research different CAD/CAM software applications the past few days

Hello Phil,
    Thank you for the link! Looks like a lot of programs I haven't looked into yet.
    Kind Regards,

Tim Johnson
    Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

I'd recomend building a DOS box to run your cnc machine.
    Windows runs in 'virtual time' and this can cause errors.
    Dos runs in real time based on the CPU clock. Turbo CNC is an excellent program, runs in dos, and the support group is great.

That 'duanting' feeling you have will subside as you learn more and remove the mystry behind this whole scene.

G'luck and don't take no for an answer.

Hello Owen,
    Thank you for your supportive words! That "feeling" is gradually diminishing. Having this message board available has made a HUGE difference.

It's looking like TurboCNC might be the best route for me to take at the moment. From my brief overview of the instructions so far, I just need to create a boot disc on floppy (or will CD work too?), and bring the PC into DOS mode at bootup--correct? Windows can still reside on the same hard drive, and effectively (by modifying the autoexec.bat file) I can create a "dual boot" system. Would you guys concure?

If so, I can place a "checkmark" next to that part of the process.

Next... there's CAM. I saw on the DAK website for TurboCNC that there is a converter product called ACE. Has anyone tried this? As my chassis drawings are already in *.DXF format, can I drop the drawings into ACE and have it then convert the drawings into too path files? Can I define where the cuts are made on the drawings (i.e. inside, rather than outside the lines)?

Edited: 3/16 @ 1314
    Just browsing and doing a little research on a couple programs from Phil's list. STLWork (by IMService) is a CAM-only program, that by their list of compatible programs, would work with STL file exports from TrueSpace (it's a 3-D design/animation program that I use). This would be great! Has anyone here tried STLWork?

Thanks!
    Kind Regards,

Tim Johnson
    Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com

"It's looking like TurboCNC might be the best route for me to take at the moment. From my brief overview of the instructions so far, I just need to create a boot disc on floppy (or will CD work too?), and bring the PC into DOS mode at bootup--correct? Windows can still reside on the same hard drive, and effectively (by modifying the autoexec.bat file) I can create a "dual boot" system. Would you guys concure?"

I don't know about the boot disk but the rest of the paragraph is OK except: I boot to DOS at startup by default. From the c:\ prompt I can go into windows or TCNC by typinig the appropriate commad.

Need Help !!!

Hey there,
    I just got my new MaxNC machine two days ago. So far, I CAN'T make it work!
    The operator's manual that comes with the machine is definitely lacking some vital information; I need to know the pin configurations for the XYZ axis. Does anyone here know what the pin configuration is? I tried sending an email to the MaxNC company earlier on Friday, but have not received a response yet. Seems like a common thing that should be included in the documentation, but it's not there.
    Kind Regards,

Tim Johnson
    Www.SlotCarHeroes.Com