588,277 active members*
5,822 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Vanguard3000 open source

I have a vanguard engraver with two different controllers. Does any one have any open source software that will work with the EP controller. The one that came with it doesnt work. I think it is close to a thousand dollars in softawre to get it working properly. from New hermes Or I can sell it to someone who has one and I can build another Hobby cnc type machine?
    Clint

New Hermes

Hi,

I just saw your post today and was wondering if you made any progress with the 3000 engraver or if you sold it. I would be interested in it.

Thanks,

Jim

I too own one of these New Hermes Vanguard 3000 Engraver, with the old computer controler. I have heard about the EP Control Module, but have not seen one in person. If you find a fix for this unit I would sure like to hear about it. Want to share notes? Send me an email at [email protected]
    RADCNC

Quote Originally Posted by 47MLB
    I have a vanguard engraver with two different controllers. Does any one have any open source software that will work with the EP controller. The one that came with it doesnt work. I think it is close to a thousand dollars in softawre to get it working properly. from New hermes Or I can sell it to someone who has one and I can build another Hobby cnc type machine?
    Clint
    Thanks all for the input I have sold the machine.
    Clint

Cool

I have a vanguard 4000 (don't know if that is similiar to the 3000) that had a EP controller, until it died. I made a contoller for it using a hobbycnc 4 axis board, and a old linux box running EMC. It is a hundred times more useful now then it was with the EP controller. I will soon purchase the collet chuck for it and will be able to mill small parts. I made a mount for a dremel with a end mill in the chuck. The most difficult part of the new controller set up was figuring out the wiring to the motors.
    Democracy is like a pack of wolves
    and a sheep desiding what's for dinner.

I'm new to all this and I too have the same New Hermes you do. My place of work was going to toss the whole thing because of software issues. I said Ill take it, there has to be something out there to make it useful.
    Any tips or pointers on what you did?

Help!

I have a V3000 with EP and the thing is perpetually having a crisis of one kind or another. I am very interested in some more specific directions from punk84, who seems to have eliminated the ep at a reasonable price. I have found several companies who profess to be able to do it, but the $3000 or more price tag has kept me from changing their way.

Hi,
    I'm a newbie here but I wanted to say that I aquired a V3000 recently with the EP controller but no software. After reading this and several other posts on the web I and it works much better than the unit did with the EP controller. Thanks to all for the threads!

If I can help others out with this project please contact me:
    jcrum at BGchemical dot com.

EP controller fixes

Hi all,

Just wanted to let anyone interested know there is an easy very low cost fix for the EP controller.

I just removed all the parts except the motor driver card and the power supply. Then connect a ribbon cable to the 20 pin conn. then wire the other end of the ribbon cable to the right terminals on a parallel port connector. You can then plug in you standard pc running Mach3 or others and run this machine directly.

Cost about $5 for the connector.

I spent a couple of days tracing the circuit on the driver card until I was able to figure the wiring out. No need to buy new drivers.

Arnie

Would you share?

Would you share what you figured out on the wiring, I have a Van. 3000, and it's controller.
    I would sure like to know the wire layout. contact me at 541-272-1138 anytime.

do you use the eagle schematic program?

I have what I traced out so far on eagle.

Arnie

aminear (at) bepc (dot) com

eagle schematic

Send me an email address and I will send the schematic or picture of the schematic, I can't compress it small enough to post here.

Arnie

aminear @ bepc . com

My email address

EP module for Vangauard 3000, just brokedown and the LCD display the "square" without wordings. Confirmed CPU board is OK and suspect the interface board, 2622000M. The red led on the interface board is lighted & no idea what it indicates.
    Does anyone out there have the schematic to share?

Hi Arnie, Appreciate if you could share the schematic for the direct connection to the parallel port.
    My address : [email protected]

Hi
    I have a slightly used New Hermes V3000 all parts are fuctional and included. My company used to use it to engrave name tags for all our employees, we have since eliminated name tags all together. I have no Idea the value of the machine but its just sitting in our storage unit, so anyone who would like to make me an offer please feel free to email me at [email protected]. I have pictures and if your close to Los Angeles, ca you could stop by my office and see it.