588,138 active members*
8,515 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Torus - What are the spindle speeds?

Torus - What are the spindle speeds?

I'm looking at the smaller Torus as a more complete CNC machine to take the place of my converted PM25 mill. Novakon, note if you could give me 16 or more inches of travel it would feel like more of an upgrade. The additional Y will be very welcome. I did not find in the specs what the range of spindle speeds were for it. I've currently got 5000RPM would love to hear it has as much juice.

Is there a machine config for LinuxCNC? I do not care for Mach at all.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Lightbulb Pulsar Specifications

The speed spec on the TORUS spindle is 0-4500rpm. However, you are looking at the smallest sized machine and should be looking at the specifications for the PULSAR class of CNC machine that you are sizing up to. The PULSAR has the same spindle rpm as the TORUS (also used for rigid tapping because of the powerful AC servo spindle motor), but has the larger work envelope of 15.75 x 9.5 x 12.5 inches. Just shy of 2 HP on the spindle motor, gives plenty of cutting power. The axes drives are available in either AC servo, or stepper power motors. The PULSAR stepper version is just being released, so we will bring this up now for your information.

Outfitted with an extra wash down spray hose and pump, the PULSAR is superior to other mills, assisting in your general clean up. A large holding tank and a very fine filtration system for the coolant will ensure the circulation system will not clog up.

The Lever Draw Bar (LDB) makes tool changes a breeze and will be upgradable with our newest Power Draw Bar (PDB) and the Automatic Tool Changer (ATC) accessories.

If you are looking for more capability than this, there is always the Torus PRO.

We do use the MACH3 system on a built in PC. Linux is not used on our systems at this time.

We hope this answers your questions.

Regards,
    Novakon Team

Oh, that's very interesting.... kind of a perfect fit actually. The space for a mill in my outdoor shop is limited and the Torus Pro is too big to reasonably fit. This sounds like an ideal, if tight fit. Every extra inch of travel is appreciated and that would be a fair trade in my mind for the extra Y. I see the machine plus stand and LDB sits at 11,700. I could likely save up enough to swing some financing on that in the next year or two. Any idea what the price would be on a stepper version as the website only prices the servo model? Honestly I'd probably just opt for servos. My hope is to employ the machine to some side business on custom robotic parts so I'd rather outfit it well now.

I'm not a Windows hater or anything but even if you didn't outfit the machine with LinuxCNC it would be a nice touch to provide a basic config to download that would give you a solid starting point. I completely understand however that support and development resources need to go where it makes sense and money to put them. I have a lot invested in LinuxCNC and that's a barrier for me. I suppose I could get used to Mach if I had to.
    CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

PULSAR

We have worked hard to design a mill having what most customers were asking for.... and added a few more bells and whistles. The prices will be released for the stepper version in the next few days. We think it will be a excellent entry mill...for both price and capability. If you watch the thread from Leeway, you will see the same rigid tapping capabilities the PULSAR has also. We believe the PULSAR is an all around perfect mill for the starter business or hobby guy.

I suggest you contact our sales department [email protected] and register for advance information. We have more surprise attachments coming soon.

Regards,
    Novakon Team

Great thread, will you trade for a Tormach? Lol