588,616 active members*
4,412 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Kurt Vise & Haas Minimill Fit

Kurt Vise & Haas Minimill Fit

Hi Haas Guys,
    I have owned a Haas TM-2 for a couple of years now, and it's 40" of X travel works good for our long parts. I have it set up with 4 Kurt D675 vises on 10" centers so I can clamp any part length or groups of small parts.
    My next intended purchase is the Minimill to take over for the smaller parts, and take advantage of it's better performance. My question is whether you can mount a Kurt D688 (Same physical size as D675) in the center T-slot of the table and have enough room for the handle, and enough clearance from the doors at full Y travel. By my layout from the Kurt site, it looks like the Hex on the screw goes about 7 1/4" past the edge of the table. Using this mounting location seems to give me the full envelope of the 8.8" of opening between vise jaws. Thanks in advance.

John

I now have a Kurt D688 mounted on my Haas Mini-Mill. I have the vise mounted in the center T-slot and there is enough room for the handle. I do not operate the machine with the handle on the vise. I can take full advantage of the vise envelope and I can move the full table travel without any problems.

The only thing to watch out for is long tools in the tool changer hitting the vise (or parts) during tool changes or movements under the tool changer. The 4 inch riser would be nice for more clearance.

I used to have a Kurt D675 vise mounted in my Mini-Mill. The problem I had with the D675 is that the screw extended beyond the back of the vise when fully closed. I worried that the screw would hit the way cover for the Z-axis, losing some of my Y+ travel.

Hope this helps,
    Mike

Hi Mike,
    This helps a lot. With this setup, I believe the Minimill will do the job for me. I was alternately considering the TM-1, but the Minimill is just way more cool and a favorite among users on this forum. I will likely get the additional Z clearance option, as I see here that it is suggested very often. I might order mine after the New Year.
    Happy Holidays & Happy New Year to all of you Haas Guys.

Regards,
    John

I have two minimills great small machine. I run toolex vises (rws4002 relock double station) I run two on each machine This gives me four stations for mounting the part and you can reconfigure (sp) each vise for different setups
    I also do not run with the vise handle in. you can order your minimill with a 4.00 riser from the factory for more z clearance.

Thanks ddp,
    Does anyone else have a unique or functional vise arrangement for the Minimill's work envelope? In my searches for CNC level milling vises, I get very little in return other than Kurt.
    John

check this link this guy has two kurt vices on his mini mill

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showth...highlight=kurt

I also use two vices on my Minimill
    I just bought a Sharp super mini as well and REALLY like it's larger envelope, more tools, more rigidity, and a really cool thing...chip flushers
    My Haas will be sold next year along with my SL10 and barfeed to make room for a couple more Daewoos.
    Not that I have any problem with Haas mind you but I can't seem to get them serviced

Mini Mill and Vises

I use a Parlec 9" opening vise, a HA5C rotary and a 5C vertical pneumatic collet fixture all on my mini mill at the same time, it is a very tight fit.
    I had to make new holes on the Parlec appx 1" back in order for the vise not to hit the door when closed, and not to hit the z axis cover on the other end. I also use an SPI mini vise handle, chucked the stock handle, wouldn't fit.
    I have to remove my vise for the 5C tailstock.
    The mini mill is great but the work envelope is small, plan carefully.
    I did not give enough forethough to my setup, but I got everything working.
    I would recommend carefully selecting your 40 taper holders as well. I rarely use a drill chuck and buy stubby length holders whenever possible.

joe V.

Thanks for all of the suggestions & applications. I would like to keep this thread open, in case there are others out there with some other unique work-holding ideas for the ever popular Minimill. In the mean time, " Happy New Year" to all of you, and special thanks to the keeper of this Forum.
    Regards,
    John