587,787 active members*
5,226 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
    Many CNC programs like Mach3 generate pulse and direction signals and send them to the parallel port. Is it possible to connect 4 of the motor drivers A4988 from Pololu (http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1183) or any similar motor drivers to the parallel port in order to enhance the signals for 4 related stepping motors? Or do I need a arranhed controller or something alike?

Many greetings

Hello
    First of all welcome in the CNC arena.

To your question:

If its possible to connect it directly depends manly on how much power (I) the parallel port provide to access the output stages. Apart from the required voltage - newer parallel ports on the main boards often don’t stick to these
    BUT its better not to do that-it has several reasons: The most important one is that you might need a new main board in case of an error or a new parallel port card. The easiest way would be connecting a BOB (breakout-board) in between. These have for example an own intermediate drive to enhance the signals before they are lead to the motor driver. Usually further functions are included e.g. the DA-converter –it converts a PWM signal to a 0-10V-Signal e.g. for the frequency converter

And also normally two relais to be able to switch e.g. the hoover or the spindle program controlled on/off. I am not even talking about the better accessibility of the connections yet.

Regards Gerd