587,842 active members*
3,436 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC Wood Router Project Log > In progress - 8020, linear rails, ball screws, steppers

Threaded View

In progress - 8020, linear rails, ball screws, steppers

After many months of reading the forum and scribbling on graph paper, I have finally put chopsaw to aluminum and started building. My basic design goals were to have a solid benchtop (moving gantry) machine that I can use for woodworking - with enough accuracy to (hopefully) cut pearl for inlay. My budget ruled out commercial units, so I chose the DIY route. Also I guess I was looking for a challenging project that could bring together a bunch of interests.

I accumulated a lot of great materials off of eBay and through the Zone classifieds.

PC 890 (new)
    Parker Actuator 6.5" travel (Z axis)
    Lots of 8020, connectors, etc
    33" THK SR15 rigid rails
    39.5" IKO SR15 rigid rails
    2 38.5" rolled ballscrews with preloaded nuts and bearings
    Honeywell 914/924CE switches for home switches
    Freud Diablo 10" non-ferrous table/chopsaw blade
    Xylotex 3 Axis with 480oz steppers

Months ago, I purchased the Xylotex 3 axis controller kit and installed it in a box with PS, etc. I was able to test out the actuator and ballscrews by driving them from my laptop with Mach2. The accuracy blew me away, and made me very hopeful. While I was playing with the electronics I went through several iterations of design and did some mockups with the 8020.

This past Monday I finally decided it was time to stop planning. I was nervous about cutting the aluminum, but it's actually very easy with my 10" chopsaw and contractor's saw. Using a spray can of Tap-Magic to keep things lubed.

I've been able to put in 4-5 hours each day this week and have made some good progress. I'll post some pictures on a sort of day-by-day basis.

So, Monday & Tuesday got the basic framework together for the base, measuring 37" wide by 34" deep. 8020 extrusions and some 1/2" extruded bar stock (4 1/2" wide). The side rails are 3"x3" and the rest is 1.5"x3" on it's side. My drill press is lousy, so getting the holes lined up took some time. A small mill with a nice sliding table would have saved me many hours.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1305.jpg   IMG_1309.jpg