588,668 active members*
6,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > pocket with problem

pocket with problem

hi, i'm learning to use m/cam x2sp1, and have a pocketing with wear comp problem i think. well it looks ok in m/cam screen, but crashes on the haas tm mill.

x0y0 is centre of job. i pick the chain from a 27dia arc. climb mill. i pocket out with a 6mm cutter to the 27dia, (no prob), then i swap to a 3mm cutter to do a fin pass around the 27dia and the 3.5 wide ribs. i have set comp to wear. run verify and it looks great. sent to the mill, and it causes a cutter comp error when it gets to the rib. have tried with lead in and without on the 27dia arc.

if i turn wear off and use comp then it runs ok on the mill. but i want to use wear so i can fine tune the fin size with the tool dia offset at the machine.

what am i doing wrong, is it m/cam or the mill, or me? any ideas that will help me?

i have included a dxf of the part, and the 3 depth fin pass code i got from it.

thanks heaps
    al
    Attached Files Attached Files

can you post up your file, the problem is probably to do with either a lead in/lead out move that cannot be completed due to geometry, or the control may alarm out if cutter comp is activated on an arc move, or the amount of finish stock doesn't allow for the programmed move

Mastercam training Online http://eapprentice.net/

I have had intermittent problems with comp and pocketing. In an effort to simplify things and avoid problems I usually leave comp off for pocketing.

When I desire to control a finish size with comp I add a separate "contour" operation after pocketing.

You need to leave the diameter field in your offsets page on the mill as zero. Mastercam will take care of that part for you. Any size adjustments need to be made in the wear field. When using wear comp, the diameter field is allways zero.

Review my picture to help with the issues on pocket.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pocket cuttercomp.jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@RFR View Post
    You need to leave the diameter field in your offsets page on the mill as zero.
    thanks will try monday when at the machine

cadcam - that must be a later version as i only have zigzag & oneway that i can find in my m/cam x2sp1

thanks all
    al

River racer review my picture as now it is just like yours as I set my dealer key to launch as a mill Entry.
    This is a later version of X3 but I have on this computer X2sp1 and it is the same.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pocketentry.jpg  
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .