588,268 active members*
10,102 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport mill newbie question...

Hi,

I've not used a bridgeport mill before but have a small hobby mill by clarke. I have been looking around at tools for milling and the machine tools seem to have a thread on them while the hand tools seem to have a square shank?

My hobby mill doesn't have a thread to put the machine tool into, it's just got a drill like chuck. What is the name of the chuck that holds these threaded mill ends?

I'm working on a cnc machine with parts from a bridgeport mill. I don't have all of the parts from the original mill and hence the spindle drive and tool holder isn't one of them. I want to use these machine tools with threaded shanks. I've made the spindle drive but have ignored the tool holder and chuck assemble, just left 200mm clearance ready for it. I've done this because I've no idea what to use, how to connect the machine tools I want to use that are threaded. I've been toying with the idea of fitting a spare lathe chuck I've got in my workshop, but have wondered why milling machine don't do this? (i.e. have a chuck)

Any answers or pointers would be most welcome as I'm a little stuck right now.

Cheers

GalaticDan

Dan, not at all sure what you are asking. Do you have a Bridgeport? Do you have any pictures you can post of this machine?

The milling machines I am familiar with use some form of a collet to hold the tool. Collets have more surface area in contact with the tool and the spindle allowing more clamping force to be developed and passed on to the tool. Chucks tend to slip on larger horsepower machines.

-jd

I think what you are refering to is an old Sandvik threaded shank?

I would recommend going with a collet arrangement as JD suggested. I agree 100%.

If you are buying new cutters, I would suggest staying away from the threaded shank tools.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I'm not a mechanical engineer and you've answered my question. I'm going to have to try out one of those collet holders on ebay that fit into a lathe chuck.

Pictures once the machine is finished!

Thanks again,

GalaticDan